Crescendo rbx1 by Ethos in RDWC on Bud Builders

SweetLeafGrow

Student of Hydroponics
Staff member
Hydroponics Helper
Reaction score
Ran this strain on one of my first grows in soil, did OK with it but wanted to see what these genetics have now that I’m getting better at hydroponics.

So here we go again with the Crescendo rbx1 by Ethos Genetics! Started this from seed a couple of weeks ago, didn’t have a lot of time so just threw a seed in a rapid rooter, stuck it in a 3.75” net pot with some clay rocks and into a Binky Bucket, plain RO water and an air stone. Eventually i added nutrients @ 1:1:1:1 ratios and adjusted depending on what the water was telling me. I topped her yesterday above the 4th node is all I’ve done to her.

Built the res using GH Trio, cal/mag and hydroguard at early veg ratios, 250 ppm and got her in the RDWC today after I cleaned out the system from the Rose Gold Pave grow, which is now hanging.

The other exciting thing here is this gal is going to live under my new CLW SS550, thanks to @Bandit420 for helping me decide what light to buy. I used CLW’s guide to set a veg spectrum and then dialed that back some to get about 250 ppfd at the top of the plant.

I know I’m going to want to keep them as short as possible with this light to preserve headroom for the stretch. CLW recommends you keep the light quite a far distance from the canopy so I’m assuming I’ll be using that distance alongside the spectrum controller to dial in the proper ppfd at the canopy height.

I think I remember blue light will decrease nodal distances and keep them short in veg, Bandit, do you recommend bumping that blue spectrum up to help with that? Photo shows my current spectrum settings, which I took from the manual and then just halved them to bring down the intensity.

IMG_4785.jpegIMG_4786.jpegIMG_4787.jpegIMG_4788.jpeg

Ran this strain on one of my first grows in soil, did OK with it but wanted to see what these genetics have now that I’m getting better at hydroponics.

So here we go again with the Crescendo rbx1 by Ethos Genetics! Started this from seed a couple of weeks ago, didn’t have a lot of time so just threw a seed in a rapid rooter, stuck it in a 3.75” net pot with some clay rocks and into a Binky Bucket, plain RO water and an air stone. Eventually i added nutrients @ 1:1:1:1 ratios and adjusted depending on what the water was telling me. I topped her yesterday above the 4th node is all I’ve done to her.

Built the res using GH Trio, cal/mag and hydroguard at early veg ratios, 250 ppm and got her in the RDWC today after I cleaned out the system from the Rose Gold Pave grow, which is now hanging.

The other exciting thing here is this gal is going to live under my new CLW SS550, thanks to @Bandit420 for helping me decide what light to buy. I used CLW’s guide to set a veg spectrum and then dialed that back some to get about 250 ppfd at the top of the plant.

I know I’m going to want to keep them as short as possible with this light to preserve headroom for the stretch. CLW recommends you keep the light quite a far distance from the canopy so I’m assuming I’ll be using that distance alongside the spectrum controller to dial in the proper ppfd at the canopy height.

I think I remember blue light will decrease nodal distances and keep them short in veg, Bandit, do you recommend bumping that blue spectrum up to help with that? Photo shows my current spectrum settings, which I took from the manual and then just halved them to bring down the intensity.

View attachment 56941View attachment 56942View attachment 56943View attachment 56944

Since you split the output I'd also split the height above canopy.
I tend to run mine balanced out with equal red because it will proliferate root growth but the amount of blue in these lights does a fine job keeping nodes tight. Sometimes too tight. I just never have issues with node spacing early on or in veg and don't see stretch until I'm at 12/12.
Each grow space is different but I think this is one area and factor all of us experience with SS550 is that it will not stretch out a young plant in veg unless it's set unreasonably high and on very low output.

My lights won't come on until late tonight....Summer schedule has me running from 9pm-9am but I'll get in there and set this spectrum on mine then measure with the Pulse and be able to tell you it's DLI.
I can tell you now I know your DLI is very low and at that stage I'd want a DLI of around 15. I'm betting there and what I'm looking at would be around 5-7 so it can drop a lot lower but how much I'm not sure yet.
Not that 5-7 would be bad, just not ideal and I'm fairly certain 15 would keep those nodes on lockdown making a stretch nearly impossible until flower. This will also allow you to feed a bit heavier and get her maximizing daily growth

Thanks for all this great info!

For the most part, I’m following you but don’t get DLI yet. I’m using a cheap app on my phone to measure ppfd. Maybe I need a good light meter, I dunno.

Anyhow I dropped the light down as you suggested and where she sits now, I’m reading about 300 ppfd at the tallest part of the plant. I’m afraid to get much closer than that but just learning this light so ya never know. Gonna watch closely see how she responds.

Thanks again Bandit, appreciate the help bro!

IMG_4789.jpegIMG_4790.png

You crushed it last time you grew it.
That was when I grew it also.
Yours tested close to if not over 30%.
My guess is you will just get a bigger healthier plant this time going hydro.👊

You crushed it last time you grew it.
That was when I grew it also.
Yours tested close to if not over 30%.
My guess is you will just get a bigger healthier plant this time going hydro.👊
Thanks buddy, I thought the last grow of this strain was just OK. I did not remember the thc being that high so I went and looked at those reports. Hit right at 25% raw thc on both of those plants and the terps were right around 1.5%, not bad and at the time I was super happy with those results. Yield was also OK for a soil grow. I grew two Purple Zkittlez in the same grow and hit around 27% raw thc on those plants. I'm positive I can do better this time and that is what I'm aiming for.

Ethos claims the strain is capable of 37% total Cannabinoids, I hope to come much closer to that this time and bump the terps up from where we were last time.

I enjoy growing a great pheno/genotype, I am familiar with, your hydro setup will go quicker. Nice shots, thanks for the view.

Thanks for all this great info!

For the most part, I’m following you but don’t get DLI yet. I’m using a cheap app on my phone to measure ppfd. Maybe I need a good light meter, I dunno.

Anyhow I dropped the light down as you suggested and where she sits now, I’m reading about 300 ppfd at the tallest part of the plant. I’m afraid to get much closer than that but just learning this light so ya never know. Gonna watch closely see how she responds.

Thanks again Bandit, appreciate the help bro!

View attachment 56977View attachment 56978

Okay so DLI, Daily Light Integral, is an equation that measures usable light for photosynthesis, PAR or PPFD, over a 24 hour period.
Several factors play into it other than just light such as CO2 and others but being indoors, we can dismiss some of those factors like longitude and latitude since we control the light and timing of it.
For cannabis we're wanting it at around 10-15 for small and young plants then 30-45 for mature plants and flowering.

At your current height and output, this is what your light is doing

slg1.png

First thing you'll probably notice is how inaccurate phone apps are when it comes to measuring PAR but that's ok. This light meter I'm using is a spendy little gadget but since we have the same lights I can do measuring by remote to give you more accurate light readings.

So going back to DLI you can see it's very low at that height and those settings.
You can either lower the light, increase it's output, or both.

Now here's what 50-50-50 looks like at around 20 inches above target

slg2.png

Given the size, age, and health of your plant it can take this 50% output and probably ask for more so if I'm king of your castle I'd bring blue up to 50, white up to 40 and red up to 30 and lower it down to about 25" above target. Over the next few days brings white and red up to match blue and hold it there. As the plant grows, add 5-10 to each channel each week until at max power maintaining that 25" above target height. Around week 4 of bloom you'll want to be at max power and 25-30" above target

Wow what a reply! Thank you for such a detailed answer to my questions 👊

Did exactly what you advised, that is quite the gadget you got bro, I didn’t even know such a thing existed 🤷‍♂️

25” above the plant, spectrum as advised.

What a treasure trove of information, wow. Thanks again @Bandit420 for holding my hand through this transition to the new light!

IMG_4791.jpegIMG_4792.jpeg

Wow what a reply! Thank you for such a detailed answer to my questions 👊

Did exactly what you advised, that is quite the gadget you got bro, I didn’t even know such a thing existed 🤷‍♂️

25” above the plant, spectrum as advised.

What a treasure trove of information, wow. Thanks again @Bandit420 for holding my hand through this transition to the new light!

View attachment 57073View attachment 57074
Best of luck, but it sounds like you don’t need it! 👍✊

I love this strain. One of my favorite grows. I still have a quarter oz left.
I really enjoyed this strain when I grew it also.
My last couple orders from Ethos I chose female Grape Crescendo for my freebie.
I got 2 that I look forward to growing soon.

She looks perfect right now.
Thanks bro, I agree. I'm away from home right now but as far as I know, she is still pretty happy under the new light so far. Started raising the red and white up 2% at a time and will do that again when I get home later this weekend.

That Grape Crescendo sounds very nice, going to have to look that one up, had not heard of it.

Came home from work this week to something I have not seen in any of my grows, thinking it look like light burn but I dunno. The res is sitting just a tad bit higher than 300 ppm, most of the plant looks fine except these blotches on the lower larger fans. New growth looks good and @Bandit420 , you weren’t kidding when you said the blue in this light rocks, she is stacking super tight, perhaps too tight as you indicated might happen!

My first thought when I saw it was light burn, but I think that might be wrong and I may be looking at a deficiency instead. If that’s the case I’m going to change out the res for a reset. I’ve been gone all week and I think this plant has been a challenge for my wife, not sure exactly what happened when I was gone but going to try to get it fixed.

IMG_4826.jpegIMG_4823.jpegIMG_4824.jpegIMG_4825.jpeg

Came home from work this week to something I have not seen in any of my grows, thinking it look like light burn but I dunno. The res is sitting just a tad bit higher than 300 ppm, most of the plant looks fine except these blotches on the lower larger fans. New growth looks good and @Bandit420 , you weren’t kidding when you said the blue in this light rocks, she is stacking super tight, perhaps too tight as you indicated might happen!

My first thought when I saw it was light burn, but I think that might be wrong and I may be looking at a deficiency instead. If that’s the case I’m going to change out the res for a reset. I’ve been gone all week and I think this plant has been a challenge for my wife, not sure exactly what happened when I was gone but going to try to get it fixed.

View attachment 57709View attachment 57710View attachment 57711View attachment 57712

Yeah I'd up her food potency for sure.
It's not light and definitely nute related. The way she's wanting to pack on the biomass after the light getting dialed in is her way of saying I'm ready to belly up to the buffet and have at it.
She's mobilizing nutes from her fan leaves into new growth and those fans are now being depleted. The new growth is also very dense so you may need to clear off some side branching if it gets super dense and compacted like that.

View attachment 57709View attachment 57710View attachment 57711View attachment 57712
That’s happened to mine a couple of times when I’ve left them in veg waiting to move to a bigger section.

I thought maybe rubbing the sides of the tent or spilling nutes. But later I think it was light burn and hot soil. Twin1 & Twin2 had it iirc. Both turned out great, one outdoors.

I suck at diagnosing issues but I hope this helps.

A week later and you would never know about the calcium deficiency, changed out the res and upped the cal/mag a bit along with mid veg ratios of the GH Trio and she has recovered nicely. Trimmed a bunch of big fans and some low branching, she’s been topped once at the 5th node, nice side branching going on, she’s THICK for sure.

When I changed the res I brought the ppm up to around 400 but she immediately started telling me that was too hot so got her down to 330 and that seems to be the sweet spot at least for now. ppm’s have been like a rock with a very slight rise in the pH…almost perfect, for almost 3 days now making things super easy.

I’ve got the spectrum all equal now between red, white and blue and bumping that up a little at a time, currently at 55% across the spectrum. I’m planning on scrogging this gal so letting her do her thing and will push everything down in the near future, maybe less than two weeks.

Roots are looking good despite this system doesn’t run a chiller. Temps in the water increase during the day but decrease at night, currently at noon it’s sitting at 68.7 F, not bad.

IMG_4884.jpegIMG_4885.jpegIMG_4886.jpegIMG_4887.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom