Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

moe.red

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Pull up a chair and hold my beer. Time to get some work done in the garden.

I've got lots of things cooking in the basement. I'm just going to spew them all here perpetually and if they deserve their own thread, I'll move them later.

First up: Moe get's dirty.

I need a shopping list for the soil grow I am about to commence on. The plan:

12 Fem Seeds - Mac Dragon x BX1 by Jeff at @dragonsflamegenetics
4x8 tent, sealed, CO2 injected
Mini Split AC
190LPD ducted Dehumidifier
(2) Raging Kush II fully spectrum programmable lights
Whatever else you guys tell me to get.

Here's where you come in - There will be 4 soil grow styles selected for this grow. 3 pots of each, which will become 2 pots of each when I flip to flower. So culling the runt from each group.

What are the 4 soil grows should I emulate?

@CannaGranny is giving me her details for one.
@MysticEpipedon recommended Coast of Maine Platinum Blend using Roots organic nutes

I'm ready to head to the grow shop with a list and get some seeds wet. Who wants to help a soil newbie with some specifics?

I'd like to see Azomite in 1 . I had 4 clones 2 I transplanted then ran out of soil and I added 1 tbl / gallon of soil & 1tbl Gypsom to my mix and within a few days the stalks on the 2 with Azomite were larger than those without. It seemed to swell the base where stalk meets the soil. It has a cone shape instead of going straight up like a tooth pick. I can still see the difference in the plants from what I believe was Azomite. I've also gone to 40% perlite to stop compacting of the soil after multiple watering. That makes transplanting awkward because the mass doesn't stay together well.

I’d say they all have pros and cons gets what’s available to you nutes you should have everything you need already shouldn’t be nuttin for ya ? Lol those air pots in your controlled environment prolly be beneficial for growth - you got some thing to get the critters ? You gonna sterileize and addd back ? If not I’d recommend topdress with DE at first water .

Do a bottle/soil run. CG's runs are with amended soil so no added nutrients until late in the run. Her method would be more advanced than a newb would assume their first run.

Do one as if you were a complete newb. FFOF/Happy Frog/Roots Organic Original would be the most probable soil a newb would start in after hearing from the folks on THCFarmer..........🤭😋

I would have mentioned Miracle Grow soil but then we're getting TOO REAL!!! 😁

GH 3 part or Fox Farm trio with all the amendments like cal/mag, pH UP and Down, etc. a newb would start out with.

ShadedOnes method was pretty good too for dry amendment growing in dirt.

Would love to see a side by side to the other methods.

Do a bottle/soil run. CG's runs are with amended soil so no added nutrients until late in the run. Her method would be more advanced than a newb would assume their first run.

Do one as if you were a complete newb. FFOF/Happy Frog/Roots Organic Original would be the most probable soil a newb would start in after hearing from the folks on THCFarmer..........🤭😋

I would have mentioned Miracle Grow soil but then we're getting TOO REAL!!! 😁

GH 3 part or Fox Farm trio with all the amendments like cal/mag, pH UP and Down, etc. a newb would start out with.

ShadedOnes method was pretty good too for dry amendment growing in dirt.

Would love to see a side by side to the other methods.
Yeah I think establishing a bare minimum for success in soil would be cool and helpful for newbies like myself to get a W under our belt. There is an overload of information available and its sometimes difficult to decipher what is necessary vs grower preferences and style etc.

Pull up a chair and hold my beer. Time to get some work done in the garden.

I've got lots of things cooking in the basement. I'm just going to spew them all here perpetually and if they deserve their own thread, I'll move them later.

First up: Moe get's dirty.

I need a shopping list for the soil grow I am about to commence on. The plan:

12 Fem Seeds - Mac Dragon x BX1 by Jeff at @dragonsflamegenetics
4x8 tent, sealed, CO2 injected
Mini Split AC
190LPD ducted Dehumidifier
(2) Raging Kush II fully spectrum programmable lights
Whatever else you guys tell me to get.

Here's where you come in - There will be 4 soil grow styles selected for this grow. 3 pots of each, which will become 2 pots of each when I flip to flower. So culling the runt from each group.

What are the 4 soil grows should I emulate?

@CannaGranny is giving me her details for one.
@MysticEpipedon recommended Coast of Maine Platinum Blend using Roots organic nutes

I'm ready to head to the grow shop with a list and get some seeds wet. Who wants to help a soil newbie with some specifics?
I don't want to imply that using Coast of Maine premixed soils is my grow style. I have been using premixed soils the last couple of years, because I didn't have time to do anything else. Previous to the last few years of insane work schedules, I mixed my own.

My suggestion of using CoM was because I thought the test was to see if organically grown weed was really better in smoothness, scent and other aesthetic qualities, and a premixed soil is the quickest/easiest way to do it. Comparing soil mixes would be another interesting test.

What I found over the last couple of years, regarding premixed, commercially available organic soils, is that they're highly variable regarding the amount of nutrients they hold. This is roughly the number of weeks of nutrients these soil blends hold:

FFOF: maybe 2 weeks
Coast of Maine Platinum Blend: 3-4 weeks, depending on your light (3 weeks for your Raging Kush)
Roots Original: 2-3 weeks
Roots Lush: 4-6 weeks
Roots Formula 707: 2 weeks
Great Lakes Water Only: 4-6 weeks (I do not recommend this one. It needs a wetting agent badly.)

(Obviously my local grow shop had lots of roots products, before they went under, due to Grow Green Michigan's competition, I guess.)

When I mix my own soil, it typically has nutrient levels like Roots Lush.

Regardless of the mix, soil grows involve lots of transplanting during veg. So much so that every couple of weeks, the plant gets more fresh soil, full of more nutes, and you normally do not need to add additional nutes during veg, except maybe epsom salts.

The point of all this was to say that using a commercial mix is quick and easy, but a little more expensive than mixing your own. If the test is between hydro and organic soil, you can use either an available soil or a soil recipe. I can't say I've seen a big difference between a soil I've mixed and high nutrient commercial soils, like lush.

Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
His reserve, a quiet defense
Riding out the day's events

Today's Tom Sawyer, he gets high on you
And the space he invades, he gets by on you

No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

A little background music for my peeps that seems fitting to where we are today.

Yeah I think establishing a bare minimum for success in soil would be cool and helpful for newbies like myself to get a W under our belt. There is an overload of information available and its sometimes difficult to decipher what is necessary vs grower preferences and style etc.
I like this. Others have said it too. So maybe I walk into the grow shop and buy the basic starter kit for one of these 4 setups.

Next time you mail seeds remove the ink cartridge from an ink pen and load it up with seeds. They'll never figure it out.
I think Moe is going to make a rack/ caddy for the clips.
The seeds were just a bonus along with sending the templates..
I like the pen idea though.

I think Moe is going to make a rack/ caddy for the clips.
The seeds were just a bonus along with sending the templates..
I like the pen idea though.
Yeah I'll make budbuilder logo plastic crap for coins to support the forum I guess.

I'll print out some seed germinators this weekend too. I guess one of these sets of clips / tray and a germinator could be the first prize donated to a Best Built Bud contest monthly.

You want to set up the contest and run with it? I'm sure you could find folks that would donate seeds and stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom