reliable economic hydro setup for a noob

Stoneyluv

^ I break things ^
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

I'm asking the hydro gurus here, i want to know if it is even possible to put together a two plant setup in a few days?

I am good with my hands and can build almost anything. Would anyone be able to help me construct a two plant setup to run two AUTO plants in and help me choose nutes and help me get me started?

i have some stuff from a very crude DWC i tried many years ago.

i own a good air pump, and have various buckets/tubs and plumbing parts laying around, i have net pots and meters, i have really great water, i have some nutes but am open to trying something else to be honest.

i'm really only looking to dip my toe and try this out.. if i really like it and want to move forward i would invest in a quality setup. for right now i'm looking for cheap and reliable. anyone think that could be done and willing to help me?

Check out the DWC systems at PA Hydroponics. You can use your own materials, but follow their designs. Im using their simple single bucket right now, and plan to convert it to a single bucket RDWC this weekend. Next cycle im upgrading to the 13 gal x 4 site RDWC system.

Check out the DWC systems at PA Hydroponics. You can use your own materials, but follow their designs. Im using their simple single bucket right now, and plan to convert it to a single bucket RDWC this weekend. Next cycle im upgrading to the 13 gal x 4 site RDWC system.

Thanks man, do you think something like this would be adequate for me?

what nutrients do you use?

IMG_4746__76656.1573171012.JPG

Is there such a thing?

I'm asking the hydro gurus here, i want to know if it is even possible to put together a two plant setup in a few days?

I am good with my hands and can build almost anything. Would anyone be able to help me construct a two plant setup to run two AUTO plants in and help me choose nutes and help me get me started?

i own a good air pump, and have various buckets/tubs and plumbing parts laying around, i have net pots and meters, i have really great water, i have some nutes but am open to trying something else to be honest.

i'm really only looking to dip my toe and try this out.. if i really like it and want to move forward i would invest in a quality setup. for right now i'm looking for cheap and reliable. anyone think that could be done and willing to help me?
You can make a flood and drain setup in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks man, do you think something like this would be adequate for me?

what nutrients do you use?

IMG_4746__76656.1573171012.JPG
Is this something you already have? If so, absolutely. Two buckets and a couple airstones would be sufficient. @SweetLeafGrow grew some amazing looking pot with his DWC. It's effective, for sure, but there's a little more work involved in DWC without the R. Just gotta stay on top of your water level and monitor the water in your resevoirs daily.

As far as nutes, you can use basically anything. GH Flora series works fine and is pretty cheap. You'd probably only need the liter bottles for a single grow.

One main thing to remember with GH nutes is that the PH Down is much more concentrated than their PH Up, so it takes much less to affect the overall PH.

If you enjoy it at all and harvest a decent product, you'll absolutely love the automation that comes in play with RDWC.

I'll be watching đź‘€

Edit: I won't recommend Lotus Nutes just yet. It stays pretty stable but the solubility just doesn't seem like it's up to snuff. Everything does dissolve eventually with the water movement from the RDWC, but my anal self doesn't like the initial floaters. We'll see how my plants like it and I'll judge a little more harshly after harvest.

which is better for two auto plants, flood and drain or RDWC?
I never did dwc. But flood and drain is easy and can be done without electricity. A couple 4 gal bucket with lava rocks or hydrotron with holes in the bottom and something to catch the water twice a day is all it takes. 2 buckets in a 2 x 4 is perfect. You can add a timer, submersible pump and overflow line to make it auto. I grew this way for years with no pump, just dynabloom and water.

Is this something you already have? If so, absolutely. Two buckets and a couple airstones would be sufficient. @SweetLeafGrow grew some amazing looking pot with his DWC. It's effective, for sure, but there's a little more work involved in DWC without the R. Just gotta stay on top of your water level and monitor the water in your resevoirs daily.

As far as nutes, you can use basically anything. GH Flora series works fine and is pretty cheap. You'd probably only need the liter bottles for a single grow.

One main thing to remember with GH nutes is that the PH Down is much more concentrated than their PH Up, so it takes much less to affect the overall PH.

If you enjoy it at all and harvest a decent product, you'll absolutely love the automation that comes in play with RDWC.

I'll be watching đź‘€

Edit: I won't recommend Lotus Nutes just yet. It stays pretty stable but the solubility just doesn't seem like it's up to snuff. Everything does dissolve eventually with the water movement from the RDWC, but my anal self doesn't like the initial floaters. We'll see how my plants like it and I'll judge a little more harshly after harvest.

thanks man, been reading about stuff all night and kinda already talked myself into a RDWC like this instead of just a two bucket dwc..

20220318_140112__26112.1671464999.jpg

i was reading how keeping the nutes is much easier and i really want to give myself every single chance i can for success. i don't want to half ass any of it and i also don't want to break the bank in case i end up not using it after this.

so i already have the buckets, the piping, the connections, the circulation pump, air pump with line and stones. i plan to remote position the control bucket outside the grow cabinet and keep it right on my cement basement floor to take advantage of my geothermal cooling.

the only thing i bought were these and hydroten because mine looked crushed and ugly...

51-GgLNdStL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i could have probably printed something out for netcups but it was just easier to buy these and they already fit a bucket perfect.

I'm really glad you chimed in and hope SweetLeafGrow does too!! i'd also like advice from @CookiesLikeWhoa because i believe he uses Jacks A/B and i already own that.

i wasn't aware that GH flora sold it in 1l bottles, i only saw the quarts and shyd away because it was $43 and wasn't 100%.. i use GH for my areocloner and never had an issue. i'll price out the 1l set and see...

can i measure everything i need with just a PPM meter and a PH meter?

I never did dwc. But flood and drain is easy and can be done without electricity. A couple 4 gal bucket with lava rocks or hydrotron with holes in the bottom and something to catch the water twice a day is all it takes. 2 buckets in a 2 x 4 is perfect. You can add a timer, submersible pump and overflow line to make it auto. I grew this way for years with no pump, just dynabloom and water.

i am very intrigued by not needing electricity because i have frequent power outages. from the couple things i bought so far i could go either direction so i'm going to have to give this more thought.

thanks for your input so far man!!

one thing i'm keeping in mind is the footprint for this setup... i plan to make this a side x side hydro versus soil grow. so i want to fit two of each style in my veg cabinet lit up with just one SS550 gen2... i need room for the four plants plus the one gallon challenge and a small clone i'm mothering out. i want to keep the four plants in a fairly tight footprint to give the light a fighting chance to grow all four plants well. they'll be autos so i have that going for me. i'm pretty sure this is all doable.

i wasn't aware that GH flora sold it in 1l bottles, i only saw the quarts and shyd away because it was $43 and wasn't 100%.. i use GH for my areocloner and never had an issue. i'll price out the 1l set and see...
Ahh yeah. My mistake. I meant the quart bottles. I'm not sure why I thought they sold liter bottles.

Yeah that's all you'd need. Usually the pH pens also read water temps. You may need those for a potential diagnosis.

-------

I'm with ya. The more I looked into DWC, the more I wanted to do RDWC instead, especially if you've already got the pump. All you'd need afterwards would be a top-off res to fully automate it.

I plumbed my top-off into the rest of the system so that my res changes only took a couple minutes. Maybe an hour or so of mixing the solution above, but once that was finished, the res change only took however long it was to drain the lowers and dump the top-off. Quick and easy.

Ahh yeah. My mistake. I meant the quart bottles. I'm not sure why I thought they sold liter bottles.

i looked and found the quarts for $37 and i'm currently leaning that way... they do sell pints for $32 so it would be tough for me to logically buy the pints.

I have PH down already, but not up, should i buy PH up?

i also have orca already. will i need a silica?

Yeah that's all you'd need. Usually the pH pens also read water temps. You may need those for a potential diagnosis.

i have a few pens for my pond and one has temp on it. i see that fancy live monitor you use and was hoping i didn't "need" to buy one of those yet.

I'm with ya. The more I looked into DWC, the more I wanted to do RDWC instead, especially if you've already got the pump. All you'd need afterwards would be a top-off res to fully automate it.

I plumbed my top-off into the rest of the system so that my res changes only took a couple minutes. Maybe an hour or so of mixing the solution above, but once that was finished, the res change only took however long it was to drain the lowers and dump the top-off. Quick and easy.

so i will need to drain out all the water from time to time? do i just use another spare pump to do this? should i include a valve and tee in the recirc line or control bucket to make this easier?

i looked and found the quarts for $37 and i'm currently leaning that way... they do sell pints for $32 so it would be tough for me to logically buy the pints.
Hard agree. Simple maths.

I have PH down already, but not up, should i buy PH up?

i also have orca already. will i need a silica?
I would grab a bottle of UP as well, just for control. I don't think silica is "necessary" but the plants will make use of it if it's available. Silica helps in hydro as part of a buffering system that'll keep your PH more stable. It's a very high PH and some people use it as their PH Up.

When I start a res, I'll add the silica, bringing the PH up into the 9s, then using PH Down, I'll bring it back into range. This helps keep the PH where you want it for longer. I don't fully understand the science behind it, though. My best explanation would be the high PH and low PH makes it so that it takes more of something to sway it one way or the other.

i have a few pens for my pond and one has temp on it. i see that fancy live monitor you use and was hoping i didn't "need" to buy one of those yet.
You absolutely don't "need" a monitor. The pens will work fine. I just like being able to peek into the closet and know right away where everything sits. I went pretty crazy at the beginning in terms of spending. In my eyes, it'd be harder to give up the hobby if there were dollars on the line. I've been known to give up on things. Thankfully, giving up is not even in question now. I love it and have grown some pretty damn good bud so far.

so i will need to drain out all the water from time to time?
Draining ALL the water is frowned upon if you're gonna use the Orca you have. Leaving some water in the bottom helps by not having to restart your colonies every res change. They take a couple weeks to really populate and colonize.

should i include a valve and tee in the recirc line or control bucket to make this easier?
That's what I did. My pump is multipurpose. 2 intakes and 3 discharges. I can pull from the top-off or the control res and I can send water to the plant sites, into the control res, or out the drain line. It's a complicated system of ball valves but it was easy enough to put together.

Hard agree. Simple maths.

I would grab a bottle of UP as well, just for control. I don't think silica is "necessary" but the plants will make use of it if it's available. Silica helps in hydro as part of a buffering system that'll keep your PH more stable. It's a very high PH and some people use it as their PH Up.

When I start a res, I'll add the silica, bringing the PH up into the 9s, then using PH Down, I'll bring it back into range. This helps keep the PH where you want it for longer. I don't fully understand the science behind it, though. My best explanation would be the high PH and low PH makes it so that it takes more of something to sway it one way or the other.

understood, i'll get some Si. what brand do you use? GH? i saw CookiesLikeWhoa uses power Si but it's kinda pricy. he also adds Purpintor and i feel if i need to buy anything to go along with the Jacks then i'm just going to buy flora series. my jacks is old and rock hard and would need to break it up and work on it if i'm going to use it. and plus i have no idea what GH is but i just cringe using a blue food. hehe it's all in my head so no worries.. i'm going to decide in a couple days on nutes. first i'll get everything running and leak tested then choose nutes.

Draining ALL the water is frowned upon if you're gonna use the Orca you have. Leaving some water in the bottom helps by not having to restart your colonies every res change. They take a couple weeks to really populate and colonize.

10/4 thanks!!! did i read that Smoke never does change outs?

hat's what I did. My pump is multipurpose. 2 intakes and 3 discharges. I can pull from the top-off or the control res and I can send water to the plant sites, into the control res, or out the drain line. It's a complicated system of ball valves but it was easy enough to put together.

easy enough i will include some plumbing to make this happen. should the drain go to waste? or to another rez to reuse?

understood, i'll get some Si. what brand do you use? GH? i saw CookiesLikeWhoa uses power Si but it's kinda pricy. he also adds Purpintor and i feel if i need to buy anything to go along with the Jacks then i'm just going to buy flora series. my jacks is old and rock hard and would need to break it up and work on it if i'm going to use it. and plus i have no idea what GH is but i just cringe using a blue food. hehe it's all in my head so no worries.. i'm going to decide in a couple days on nutes. first i'll get everything running and leak tested then choose nutes.
I have a jug of Power Si that I only used once or twice. I ended up getting a pound of Agsil16 and that should last me a few years. The only real downfall is the recommended wait time. I'm not sure the exact reasoning but it has something to do with it "breaking down and becoming usable". It was discussed in my first journal a bit. I just mix a jug of it and let it set overnight. I've used it immediately once and didn't really notice a difference, though. @moe.red can surely explain it better. @Aqua Man do you use Agsil?

10/4 thanks!!! did i read that Smoke never does change outs?
Yeah but I don't think I can recommend following his "neither live nor sterile" approach. He makes it work but nobody knows how he does it. Moe tried and got root rot and lost a crop.

@smoke.. care to chime in?

easy enough i will include some plumbing to make this happen. should the drain go to waste? or to another rez to reuse?
I just send it down the drain. You have enough plants around your yard that you could probably find a use for it. It's mostly a precaution so there's likely nothing wrong with the nutes. We just like to do a res change to get the ratios back in check as the plants grow and require more nutes. It lets you know exactly what's in the solution. Adding on top of what's in the res can start to get things out of whack and you could end up with lockout. If everything is dialed in perfectly, a res change might be unnecessary. Maybe that's how Smoke gets away with no changes? He's got his shit down pat.

Last edited:
I have a jug of Power Si that I only used once or twice. I ended up getting a pound of Agsil16 and that should last me a few years. The only real downfall is the recommended wait time. I'm not sure the exact reasoning but it has something to do with it "breaking down and becoming usable". It was discussed in my first journal a bit. I just mix a jug of it and let it set overnight. I've used it immediately once and didn't really notice a difference, though. @moe.red can surely explain it better. @Aqua Man do you use Agsil?

do you guys feel the GH Armor Si is good enough for a first timer?

41vx7TUpWDL.jpg

Yeah but I don't think I can recommend following his "neither live nor sterile" approach. He makes it work but nobody knows how he does it. Moe tried and got root rot and lost a crop.

@smoke.. care to chime in?

for sure i need the beginners approach. but i was thinking, i wonder if the reason Smoke's nutes last is because his plants are so fuckin big that they just eat anything so it doesn't matter if it;s off a hair. :D

I just send it down the drain. You have enough plants around your yard that you could probably find a use for it. It's mostly a precaution so there's likely nothing wrong with the nutes. We just like to do a res change to get the ratios back in check as the plants grow and require more nutes. It lets you know exactly what's in the solution. Adding on top of what's in the res can start to get things out of whack and you could end up with lockout. If everything is dialed in perfectly, a res change might be unnecessary. Maybe that's how Smoke gets away with no changes? He's got his shit down pat.

thanks for that explanation man, that gives me the info i need to hopefully only have to plumb it once. i'm leaning towards a drain pump so i can maybe not send it down the drain and take it outside.

Not a bunch of time, but I'll chime in.

I started small. Did autopots / coco, kratky, bubble buckets, ebb and flow, and hacked up rdw.

It wasn't until I went to full RDWC that I got the yields I was expecting with repeatable results. A lot of opportunity for automation with RDWC which was important to me back then as I was travelling quite a bit for work.

Anything short of RDWC will require a bit more hands on and constant attention, but still works. Thing is if you are planning on eventually going RDWC anyhow, you may have some struggles / learning curve with the lesser systems you could avoid.

Larger water volumes = more forgiving. Kinda like reef keeping.

Hope to be done with my project this weekend, and then I will have a lot more time to come back and contribute.

If you are going for big roots = big fruits, bite the bullet and do it right from day one. I know you have it in ya. It does not need to be expensive and a little 2 pot RDWC with a home depot tote as a res will get you results. Small pump (try for 10x turns of water volume per hour) and a good air pump / stones and you would be surprised how efficient it can be. The only really tough part is getting the bulkheads in without leaking. If you can do that - you are golden.

Not a bunch of time, but I'll chime in.

thanks Moe, you're always straight to the point and i love that about you!!!!

Anything short of RDWC will require a bit more hands on and constant attention, but still works. Thing is if you are planning on eventually going RDWC anyhow, you may have some struggles / learning curve with the lesser systems you could avoid.

this will be a trial and if i decided to go all out i probably wouldn't use any of this stuff except for the quality air pump i have. all the piping and containers would need to be expanded and would want to go a little more quality in parts for longevity.

Larger water volumes = more forgiving. Kinda like reef keeping.

gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. i'll use that advice.

If you are going for big roots = big fruits, bite the bullet and do it right from day one. I know you have it in ya. It does not need to be expensive and a little 2 pot RDWC with a home depot tote as a res will get you results.

Moe, i don't want to be set up for failure on this, i want to give this hydro a very fair shot and i'm afraid if i make it piss poor i'll get piss poor results and never want to give hydro a try ever again. so i want to to succeed in every way. plus i want it to go down as the most epic soil vs hydro journal we got!!!!

so do you feel the plant sites are okay if i use 5 gallon buckets? or should i make the plant sites from totes as well along with a control rez?

Small pump (try for 10x turns of water volume per hour) and a good air pump / stones and you would be surprised how efficient it can be.

got it! once i have the total volume estimate i'll match the circulation pump.

the air pump/tube/stones is the only item of quality i have so far really. do you think i need to plumb the airlines to a drip tube over top of the surface? ( i see some systems with this feature ) i felt i did not need it if i properly place the tap root in the cup and had the water splashing properly underneath.

The only really tough part is getting the bulkheads in without leaking. If you can do that - you are golden.

Moe, this is the easiest part of the whole design right here... see i don't use bulkheads, never liked em never will. i'm a uniseal guy!! been using them for many years now with my pond and never leaked a drop and i have some serious pressure with my pond. outside in the elements even and never had an issue. works on round and flat surfaces.

my old pond filter loaded with uniseals...

dscn0478-jpg.1049

so Moe one opinion of yours that i would love to hear and thats nutes. again just enough for a single run of two autos. i own jacks A/B but was looking for options. hoping to stay under the $100 mark for all nutrients and balancers needed.

Stoney it looks like you got a lot of help since my post last night. I use General hydroponic nutrients and so far they’ve been great. Based on my first DWC run here, I would strongly recommend you starting out with a control Rez and put it outside of your tent. I find it challenging during flower, not being able to access the reservoir to make adjustments when the lights are out. Im running an 8 gallon bucket, three weeks into flower and this thing drinks like crazy. The control will rez will expand the gallons in your total system.

Needs time to dissolve into the water and PH is important also.

Back in about an hour if you need further information

Aqua Man, what is your suggestion for nutrients for me, i am only trying hydro for the first time and am looking for nutrients for two autos. i was hoping to keep it under the $100 mark for all nutes and adjusters needed just for this one time. if i changed my ways and came over to the dark side and grew hydro full time i would then build a new system and buy nutes in bulk.

i am currently leaning towards GH because of others influences thus far and wondered what your opinion on the floranova series is? since i come from organic roots it appeals to me.

Stoney it looks like you got a lot of help since my post last night.

sure have.. it's making it easy on me so fa thats for sure.

I use General hydroponic nutrients and so far they’ve been great.

thanks i'm leaning this direction so far as it's easy to get.

Based on my first DWC run here, I would strongly recommend you starting out with a control Rez and put it outside of your tent. I find it challenging during flower, not being able to access the reservoir to make adjustments when the lights are out.

ya know i quickly talked myself into that right after reading your post a second time.. im thinking if you have a single but still want it recirculating there must be something to it. then read more into it.

i will for sure put a control rez outside.

Im running an 8 gallon bucket, three weeks into flower and this thing drinks like crazy. The control will rez will expand the gallons in your total system.

so eight gallon isn't even big enough volume that she drinks that much. how large of a rez will you add on?

thanks man, been reading about stuff all night and kinda already talked myself into a RDWC like this instead of just a two bucket dwc..

20220318_140112__26112.1671464999.jpg

i was reading how keeping the nutes is much easier and i really want to give myself every single chance i can for success. i don't want to half ass any of it and i also don't want to break the bank in case i end up not using it after this.

so i already have the buckets, the piping, the connections, the circulation pump, air pump with line and stones. i plan to remote position the control bucket outside the grow cabinet and keep it right on my cement basement floor to take advantage of my geothermal cooling.

the only thing i bought were these and hydroten because mine looked crushed and ugly...

51-GgLNdStL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i could have probably printed something out for netcups but it was just easier to buy these and they already fit a bucket perfect.

I'm really glad you chimed in and hope SweetLeafGrow does too!! i'd also like advice from @CookiesLikeWhoa because i believe he uses Jacks A/B and i already own that.

i am very intrigued by not needing electricity because i have frequent power outages. from the couple things i bought so far i could go either direction so i'm going to have to give this more thought.

thanks for your input so far man!!

one thing i'm keeping in mind is the footprint for this setup... i plan to make this a side x side hydro versus soil grow. so i want to fit two of each style in my veg cabinet lit up with just one SS550 gen2... i need room for the four plants plus the one gallon challenge and a small clone i'm mothering out. i want to keep the four plants in a fairly tight footprint to give the light a fighting chance to grow all four plants well. they'll be autos so i have that going for me. i'm pretty sure this is all doable.

I’ve only seen them sold in imperial volumes.

IMG_9462.jpgIMG_9463.jpg

I’ve considered switching to GH once I run out of my Botanicare Kind since it’s discontinued.

Aqua Man, what is your suggestion for nutrients for me, i am only trying hydro for the first time and am looking for nutrients for two autos. i was hoping to keep it under the $100 mark for all nutes and adjusters needed just for this one time. if i changed my ways and came over to the dark side and grew hydro full time i would then build a new system and buy nutes in bulk.

i am currently leaning towards GH because of others influences thus far and wondered what your opinion on the floranova series is? since i come from organic roots it appeals to me.

sure have.. it's making it easy on me so fa thats for sure.

thanks i'm leaning this direction so far as it's easy to get.

ya know i quickly talked myself into that right after reading your post a second time.. im thinking if you have a single but still want it recirculating there must be something to it. then read more into it.

i will for sure put a control rez outside.

so eight gallon isn't even big enough volume that she drinks that much. how large of a rez will you add on?
Gh for ease, if you dont have a PH meter then pH perfect but don’t fuck with it and follow the directions add nothing else, or a dry fert for cost like mega crop, jacks or similar.

All will work well

If you’re able to be there every day to check on it and top off then 8 gal would be fine. Since I didn’t have the control Rez starting out, I couldn’t just add the top off Rez. I have to travel every once in a while, and could be gone for days at a time. Based on that I definitely need to add the control raise with a top off.

I also use the GH Trio shown above + some other beneficials. In addition to the trio, i also run calimagic, ArmorSi, and fulvic. I also run Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungicide. These are not all necessary, but if you run the trio, I would also run Calmag and then you need to decide if you’re going to run sterile or live.

We started our first runs in RDWC and were way in over our heads. Too much to manage at once. We still have the system, just haven't set it up since our first few disasters. It was a Current Culture system too, really nice for what it is. Very beginner friendly, just the growing part was more than we were up for. Also trying to grow autos at first was :eek:

As far as Jacks/Mega Crop. Can't say enough great things about it. We've tried their bloom, clone and the 3/2/1. Only use the A/B now (/w PowerSi and Purpinator). Run a slightly down tuned version of the 3/2 and run a 2.4/1.6 version of it. What we're working on now is the transition. Thinking we're not quite getting enough calcium at the start of flower. No deficiencies, just not as explosive as we've seen. We've run 2.5/2.5 and saw some amazing results at the start of flower, and thinking the extra Calcium had something to do with it. Think it was Moe or Aqua said calcium is like the catalyst for the show. Really feeling like it.

We did a cost calculation with the A/B. With 12 plants getting 3L of water a day for 10 weeks, it was something like $5.00 worth of Jacks to do it. Want to get off the purpinator and use Mag/Sulfate and some other PK booster that's cheaper. Have this one called MOAB PK boost, but no idea what I need to be dosing it at lol.

Is there such a thing?

I use the auto pots with 1 res for 6 plants in promix/perlite 50/50 + a few additives. I use GK nutes 3 part + Diamond Nectar, Cal/mag when needed, KoolBloom liquid and dry when needed, peroxide and Hyclean. I mix my nutes in a 10 gal pot then add to my res in 3-6 gal batches. I run a chiller with a filter between the pump and chiller.
In veg a full 47L /9+ gal res can last a week +. In flower I go through 3 gal+/day I also use air domes for added O2

Once set up its just filling the res with required nutes as needed.

gh 3 part and calmag with ph up and down mostly up is all ive ever used. Simple but it works.

Only in veg i don't change the water for up to 8 weeks. I veg usually for 7 weeks. The ratio's stay the same all the way through veg is probably why i get away without changing out the water.

Veg ratios consists of RO water calmag added to 180 ppm then GH3 part to around 370 (3 parts gro 2 parts micro 1 part bloom)
Screenshot_20240802_110045_Google.jpg

thanks Moe, you're always straight to the point and i love that about you!!!!

this will be a trial and if i decided to go all out i probably wouldn't use any of this stuff except for the quality air pump i have. all the piping and containers would need to be expanded and would want to go a little more quality in parts for longevity.

gotcha, that makes a lot of sense. i'll use that advice.

Moe, i don't want to be set up for failure on this, i want to give this hydro a very fair shot and i'm afraid if i make it piss poor i'll get piss poor results and never want to give hydro a try ever again. so i want to to succeed in every way. plus i want it to go down as the most epic soil vs hydro journal we got!!!!

so do you feel the plant sites are okay if i use 5 gallon buckets? or should i make the plant sites from totes as well along with a control rez?

got it! once i have the total volume estimate i'll match the circulation pump.

the air pump/tube/stones is the only item of quality i have so far really. do you think i need to plumb the airlines to a drip tube over top of the surface? ( i see some systems with this feature ) i felt i did not need it if i properly place the tap root in the cup and had the water splashing properly underneath.

Moe, this is the easiest part of the whole design right here... see i don't use bulkheads, never liked em never will. i'm a uniseal guy!! been using them for many years now with my pond and never leaked a drop and i have some serious pressure with my pond. outside in the elements even and never had an issue. works on round and flat surfaces.

my old pond filter loaded with uniseals...

dscn0478-jpg.1049

so Moe one opinion of yours that i would love to hear and thats nutes. again just enough for a single run of two autos. i own jacks A/B but was looking for options. hoping to stay under the $100 mark for all nutrients and balancers needed.
If you can get those to not leak, you are in great shape.

I got all kinds of 3d designs for whatever you might need. I even started printing fittings with ABS and gluing them. Totes, uniseals, pvc, a small pump and a 3d printer and you can have a beautifulk cheap setup.

For the nutes, easy is GH trio. But you can use whatever you have really. I'll hit you up later this weekend on this and the other project and see what you need. I'm sure I have parts I can donate too. I'm a hydro packrat.

Happy to see you getting wet brother.

wow you guys, thanks so much all of you!!! i was feeling a bit nervous and maybe i was taking on more than i can handle but you guys are making me feel excited to try now and way more comfortable than i was just a couple days ago.

I’ve only seen them sold in imperial volumes.

View attachment 67716View attachment 67717

I’ve considered switching to GH once I run out of my Botanicare Kind since it’s discontinued.

thanks zen thats what i saw as well. pints and quarts and gallons.

Gh for ease, if you dont have a PH meter then pH perfect but don’t fuck with it and follow the directions add nothing else, or a dry fert for cost like mega crop, jacks or similar.

All will work well

Thanks for your opinion Aqua man, i do in fact have a PH meter and PPM. i'm going to go with the GH as it falls within my budget.

If you’re able to be there every day to check on it and top off then 8 gal would be fine. Since I didn’t have the control Rez starting out, I couldn’t just add the top off Rez. I have to travel every once in a while, and could be gone for days at a time. Based on that I definitely need to add the control raise with a top off.

I also use the GH Trio shown above + some other beneficials. In addition to the trio, i also run calimagic, ArmorSi, and fulvic. I also run Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungicide. These are not all necessary, but if you run the trio, I would also run Calmag and then you need to decide if you’re going to run sterile or live.

I'm going live for sure... as an organic soil grower i almost have to!! i already have the orca and killer crab.

We started our first runs in RDWC and were way in over our heads. Too much to manage at once. We still have the system, just haven't set it up since our first few disasters. It was a Current Culture system too, really nice for what it is. Very beginner friendly, just the growing part was more than we were up for. Also trying to grow autos at first was :eek:

As far as Jacks/Mega Crop. Can't say enough great things about it. We've tried their bloom, clone and the 3/2/1. Only use the A/B now (/w PowerSi and Purpinator). Run a slightly down tuned version of the 3/2 and run a 2.4/1.6 version of it. What we're working on now is the transition. Thinking we're not quite getting enough calcium at the start of flower. No deficiencies, just not as explosive as we've seen. We've run 2.5/2.5 and saw some amazing results at the start of flower, and thinking the extra Calcium had something to do with it. Think it was Moe or Aqua said calcium is like the catalyst for the show. Really feeling like it.

We did a cost calculation with the A/B. With 12 plants getting 3L of water a day for 10 weeks, it was something like $5.00 worth of Jacks to do it. Want to get off the purpinator and use Mag/Sulfate and some other PK booster that's cheaper. Have this one called MOAB PK boost, but no idea what I need to be dosing it at lol.

thanks so much for your input man!! i am feeling better the more i read. i always had this false impression that hydro was very strict but it seems like there are many options and even some forgiveness with hydro growing.

i only bought that jacks A/B because i got it for $2 at a yard sale. JR peters is made in the town next to mine so i bought it because they're local yocals!! :D

i don't really know how old it is but i've had it for over ten years now.. it's rock hard but according to them it's still good i just need a hammer and chisel to get started!! :LOL:

just a little nervous using it as a noob but not a deal breaker yet!

Thanks again!!!

I use the auto pots with 1 res for 6 plants in promix/perlite 50/50 + a few additives. I use GK nutes 3 part + Diamond Nectar, Cal/mag when needed, KoolBloom liquid and dry when needed, peroxide and Hyclean. I mix my nutes in a 10 gal pot then add to my res in 3-6 gal batches. I run a chiller with a filter between the pump and chiller.
In veg a full 47L /9+ gal res can last a week +. In flower I go through 3 gal+/day I also use air domes for added O2

Once set up its just filling the res with required nutes as needed.

I'm pretty sure i'm going with the GH one part. i saw that koolbloom and was intrigued.

i'm hoping i don't have a problem with heat at all. it's the hottest part of the year so if i can make this work now i can make it work anytime.. i plan to keep the rez on my cement basement floor and take advantage of the geothermal cooling it provides.

this just got a little bigger in the rez idea so maybe a larger volume will heat up slower. i hope anyway!

gh 3 part and calmag with ph up and down mostly up is all ive ever used. Simple but it works.

Only in veg i don't change the water for up to 8 weeks. I veg usually for 7 weeks. The ratio's stay the same all the way through veg is probably why i get away without changing out the water.

Veg ratios consists of RO water calmag added to 180 ppm then GH3 part to around 370 (3 parts gro 2 parts micro 1 part bloom)
View attachment 67718

oh i didn't realize you used the three part as well. seems like so many of you guys are using the three part and makes me now nervous to go with the nova one part. i need to get out of my own head and just do it!!! i'm sure the best way is to just get my feet wet and try!!!

thanks for your input Smoke!!!

If you can get those to not leak, you are in great shape.

I got all kinds of 3d designs for whatever you might need. I even started printing fittings with ABS and gluing them. Totes, uniseals, pvc, a small pump and a 3d printer and you can have a beautifulk cheap setup.

For the nutes, easy is GH trio. But you can use whatever you have really. I'll hit you up later this weekend on this and the other project and see what you need. I'm sure I have parts I can donate too. I'm a hydro packrat.

Happy to see you getting wet brother.

Moe i was looking and Lowes has these on sale this month...

Screenshot 2024-08-02 205034.jpg

i will get one for the rez tomorrow.

they also have these smaller ones, i still have money left from the nute budget so should i just buy two of these for the plant sites? would they work better than buckets?

Screenshot 2024-08-02 205206.jpg

what is your opinion Moe? $30 for three totes ain't gonna kill me... should i get the one big one and the two small ones?

Anybody discuss the need for RO water yet?

SHHHHH.... hahaha i was hoping i could get away with nobody asking. i don't have money in the budget so i am hoping my clean rain water is acceptable!!

Stoney pm me if you see anything you need. You can print all those parts for your tops.

View attachment 67729

wow!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness you have an entire five grow rooms worth of stuff, probably even more!!!!! i already bought the netpots and that would have been the only thing i really needed. i have little 2"ones but i knew they weren't gonna cut it. i bought a five pack of 6" ones already.

and i have a huge roll of air line and plenty of plumbing pipes/elbows, and valves on hand. i actually fell pretty prepared which is odd for me.

It’s a good point what is your source?

i'm hoping my rain water is going to be good enough... what do you say?

measured with two different meters just to be sure...

003.JPG005.JPG

PH..

006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom