Buzzking is trying again - 4 site RDWC Apollo XX, Mac Dragon bx1

Buzzking

Hydro Grower
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Trying this again. Many thanks to SLG for donating the seeds and Moe and others for the advice the last 2 grow attempts. All part of the learning experience I know.

Using a 4 site 8 gallon bucket Fallponics system with approximately 25-26 gallons running during normal operation. Start out with city water treat with ascorbic acid to try and get rid of chlorine/chloramines then GH Flora trio with 1/2 the recommended nute level using the “Light Feed” schedule based on a 9 week grow schedule. Add GH ph up/down as needed to establish 5.8 ph level, keeping within 5.6-6.1 during grow before adjusting up or down. This is a live system using Orca at twice the suggested dosage.

I have a Kind X750 light with adjustable Full Spectrum / Red+IR-UV dials. Per Kind guidelines keeping light 12-14” from plant. Humidity and temperature trying to control inside a 4x4 Gorilla grow tent with an 6” AC Infinity basic Controller 67 and fans here and there. Use a humidifier or dehumidifier just outside the tent to try and keep the RH in check and manually adjust the AC Infinity fan as needed to control temps. Tent is in basement of ranch house so usually not such a big task. Try and monitor VPD but kind of the least of my concerns.

So on to the grow…Started germinating 4 beans on 4/1 all were successful. In these photos and the ones below Apollo XX on the left Mac Dragon bx1 on the right. Took the sprouts and put them in some little peet pods made for an iDoo mini hydro system my neighbor had as I was short time and it worked ok on my first grow.
9869CD49-1955-4496-90FB-C6F4DAA28241.jpeg

Once roots were established I took the pods and put them in the system but unfortunately as you might notice in the photos sunk them a little too deep in the hydroton. They all survived and started to take growth.
6C06BD2F-DB87-47E3-B7D9-958C8E0536E5.jpeg

They have been on the system/tent for about 10 days now. After getting a new batch of water ready I took 3 gallons added a hefty dose of orca and dunked all 4 pots in this bucket.

Before…
BE2FCBAC-B063-4139-B826-4986B0D411D6.jpeg
After…
9A64E369-CE0D-4B5B-BDF6-5DDC5E0BEE72.jpeg
Did a water change leaving about 4 gallons behind then adding the fresh. Sitting right now at 5.8ph, 0.8 EC or 400ppm on the 500 tds scale. Water temp 68F, tent now at ~ 72F, ~ 52% RH. Here are photos when done today…
6C06BD2F-DB87-47E3-B7D9-958C8E0536E5.jpeg2C67BD09-A473-47AA-A690-C07E8E0A495C.jpeg025CFAF7-5F36-454D-AFC5-D80D3D53CCD2.jpeg28EF2D2E-98C1-447A-AC70-EDE7A3712935.jpegF26EEDA2-BA2B-4DB0-8356-0560631102AE.jpeg
Thanks for looking appreciate any and all feedback!
Time to smoke 😶‍🌫️

Attachments

• D0E442F2-B80D-48D2-A72E-31D7E6A9DB6E.jpeg
    D0E442F2-B80D-48D2-A72E-31D7E6A9DB6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Looking great there bro, definitely going to be following along with your grow!

Using a 4 site 8 gallon bucket Fallponics system with approximately 25-26 gallons running during normal operation.

So, have you actually measured this out? I noticed you are using the 8" net pots and I know when I was using those, I could only get about 8 gallons, max 8.5 (if I remember right) in my single site system and keep the water 1" below the net pots, the same one you have but for one site with external res. If I apply my numbers to a 4 site system, I would guess you would have about 20 gallons and max 22.

Just curious the water in your system, I have not actually measured what I have in my 4 site system but estimate it to be around 28-30 gallons based on 5.5 - 6 gallons in each bucket. I switched to the 3.75" net pots after my first grow with help and advice from Moe...almost doubled the amount of water in my system.

I know current culture has gone from the 8 " net pots they sold 8 years ago with their system to the 5 " net pots that i use now. Recently they have gone from that to a 3" foam insert each time adding more water volume to the system

Looking great there bro, definitely going to be following along with your grow!

So, have you actually measured this out? I noticed you are using the 8" net pots and I know when I was using those, I could only get about 8 gallons, max 8.5 (if I remember right) in my single site system and keep the water 1" below the net pots, the same one you have but for one site with external res. If I apply my numbers to a 4 site system, I would guess you would have about 20 gallons and max 22.

Just curious the water in your system, I have not actually measured what I have in my 4 site system but estimate it to be around 28-30 gallons based on 5.5 - 6 gallons in each bucket. I switched to the 3.75" net pots after my first grow with help and advice from Moe...almost doubled the amount of water in my system.
So I haven’t got around to measuring exactly how much I put in the system when I fill it. I use a 44 gallon RubberMaid trash can and fill it with the city water using a water meter like shown at PA Hydroponics to fill it 30 gallons full. I treat the water as described above and then pump out the old water from the system until there is about a gallon or less in each of the 4 buckets. Then I pump treated water out of the trash can and into the system till it’s just below the net pots. I have ~ 7 gallons left in the trash can which I then transfer to a 5 gallon bucket that is being used as a top off reservoir image.jpg
Here is my water level in the buckets right now. Once root’s established will try and get them a little lower. As you mentioned would be easier if I get some smaller net pots just been too busy to mess with and keep reusing the old.
View attachment 70339500680__8902F307-D080-4582-AC02-43349CC0194D.MOV

Last edited:
Did you ever think about putting a "T" on the waterfall and making 2 waterfalls instead of 1.
Thinking out loud
No never thought of that, good idea! Would probably want to upgrade my pump if I did that so could get about the same volume/flow as I’m getting now but either way wouldn’t hurt. Thanks!

So I haven’t got around to measuring exactly how much I put in the system when I fill it. I use a 44 gallon RubberMaid trash can and fill it with the city water using a water meter like shown at PA Hydroponics to fill it 30 gallons full. I treat the water as described above and then pump out the old water from the system until there is about a gallon or less in each of the 4 buckets. Then I pump treated water out of the trash can and into the system till it’s just below the net pots. I have ~ 7 gallons left in the trash can which I then transfer to a 5 gallon bucket that is being used as a top off reservoir View attachment 474
Here is my water level in the buckets right now. Once root’s established will try and get them a little lower. As you mentioned would be easier if I get some smaller net pots just been too busy to mess with and keep reusing the old.
View attachment 475

Hard to tell but looks like you are either even with the bottom or perhaps a bit up into the pot?

Roots look pretty good!

No never thought of that, good idea! Would probably want to upgrade my pump if I did that so could get about the same volume/flow as I’m getting now but either way wouldn’t hurt. Thanks!
I did that anyway, I was used to the strong stream in my single site system. SR sent me an awesome 1300 GPH pump that is rocking that stream like a young man at a keg party!

He’s back!

You using sulphur this grow just in case? Seems to be working for me no pests so far.

I think you have 13 gal buckets not 8, right?

I started with 10” netpots, down to 8 and currently use 3.75. The issue with the smaller ones is hard to keep them from tipping over but otherwise are superior for our needs.

Those Mac dragons can be a veg beast. SLG’s pheno was huge with tight nodes. Keep a close eye you may need to flip earlier than you expect with these girls.

I’m sure this time you will get a harvest. Mites suck!

Nice grow~! (y)

If upgrades are in the future I highly recommend and Alita air pump.
I see you have 2 running now. I recognize the one which is louder than a screaming mimi~!
Alitas are beasts and the quietest pumps I have ever owned.

I use one of these for measuring out batch water, has been helpful.

Hard to tell but looks like you are either even with the bottom or perhaps a bit up into the pot?

Roots look pretty good!
About even with the bottom. That’s about as low as I can get it when first filling the system and get it to circulate without fears of it stopping the return. On my last grow once they started consuming water daily I could let it drop a bit more maybe an inch below then hold it there using the auto top off

Thanks!

He’s back!

You using sulphur this grow just in case? Seems to be working for me no pests so far.

I think you have 13 gal buckets not 8, right?

I started with 10” netpots, down to 8 and currently use 3.75. The issue with the smaller ones is hard to keep them from tipping over but otherwise are superior for our needs.

Those Mac dragons can be a veg beast. SLG’s pheno was huge with tight nodes. Keep a close eye you may need to flip earlier than you expect with these girls.

I’m sure this time you will get a harvest. Mites suck!
Don’t have any sulphur but bought some Lost Coast Plant Therapy figuring it would take care of russet mites. Haven’t spayed yet though but have checked for pests using my microscope. My gut tells me there is no way the RM could still be around. I removed all plant life from that room and sprayed everything down with bleach water. Left the room empty for 4 weeks before bringing in the sprouts. Guess I should start spraying anyway just to be on the safe side. Do you think sulphur would be a better choice over the LCPT?

I have 8 gallon buckets

Definitely going to look for smaller pots on the next grow.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mac Dragon. I have an 8’ tall tent but went through a similar situation on my first grow with the Zweet Inzanity I grew. Was knuckling branches and doing everything I could to hold her down.

Thanks Moe!

I use pure crop one - same shit - only problem I have is the seem to get immune to it - so I’ve been rotating products - I’ve got a huge infestation now and been thinking bout sulfur, mayb I’ll be the Guinea pig here

I threw everything at my infestation. Not joking. I don't know what worked to be honest, and I don't care cause I'm never gonna do that again!

I have lots of extra micronized sulfur and smite if you happen to be out my way. I used lost coast too. I think like mosh said hitting it with multiple things is the way to go, or at least rotating. Apparently these bastards are superbugs and once they get treated by something and live, they are immune to that treatment. So you gotta use something different than the guy who gave you the clones used.

Why I like the Sulphur is that the plant needs it anyhow, not to mention it interrupts all life stages. Dirtbag did some testing with spraying it on fan leaves in flower and terp production went up. Not a panacea, but will not hurt your plants unless you spray it on pistils. They shrivel up and look like the plant was pollinated.

Nice grow~! 

If upgrades are in the future I highly recommend and Alita air pump.

I see you have 2 running now. I recognize the one which is louder than a screaming mimi~!

Alitas are beasts and the quietest pumps I have ever owned.

I have 3 of the alita pumps in my systems and i too highly recommend them.

I threw everything at my infestation. Not joking. I don't know what worked to be honest, and I don't care cause I'm never gonna do that again!

I have lots of extra micronized sulfur and smite if you happen to be out my way. I used lost coast too. I think like mosh said hitting it with multiple things is the way to go, or at least rotating. Apparently these bastards are superbugs and once they get treated by something and live, they are immune to that treatment. So you gotta use something different than the guy who gave you the clones used.

Why I like the Sulphur is that the plant needs it anyhow, not to mention it interrupts all life stages. Dirtbag did some testing with spraying it on fan leaves in flower and terp production went up. Not a panacea, but will not hurt your plants unless you spray it on pistils. They shrivel up and look like the plant was pollinated.
Liquid sulfur not a burn ? Or vaporizer? After readin a bit sulfur burns won’t work for us I don’t think 🤔 cuz of the flowering plants ? Most reasearch says to use in veg and early flower only . We both run about the same only one in separate tents - but spray I’ll look into that

Liquid sulfur not a burn ? Or vaporizer? After readin a bit sulfur burns won’t work for us I don’t think 🤔 cuz of the flowering plants ? Most reasearch says to use in veg and early flower only . We both run about the same only one in separate tents - but spray I’ll look into that
CEB3AC43-EE05-4C36-AC8C-508BE72BDD63.jpeg

Micronized sulfur comes in a powder to be mixed and put in a spray bottle.

Dirtbag was brushing it on fan leaves and trying to miss bud sites. I have not done this myself.

View attachment 524

Micronized sulfur comes in a powder to be mixed and put in a spray bottle.

Dirtbag was brushing it on fan leaves and trying to miss bud sites. I have not done this myself.
Mosh I have used Sulfur just like the stuff you have there in the past. I have a duster and would just dust the whole plant early in flower before the buds start to form. It works really well. Both Bugs and Mold do not do well around that stuff. You can add it to a sprayer and apply that way as well. I know Old Sogs does it that way as well. Either should work. The Grape industry uses it for PM as well.

I have to say, I put that shit everywhere in my space after my infection, carpets, chairs, nooks and crannies - knock on wood but I'm feeling like that stuff worked. Time will tell I guess, there could still be eggs hidden. But I think if I got infected now a couple squirts would stop it.

So first sign of trouble. Did a water change Sunday but didn’t make any changes using the same amount of GH trio I did when i started 2 weeks ago. Other odd thing is only the front left plant is showing the brown spots on the leaves. The Appollo XX right behind it seems normal as do the Mac Dragon.

IMG_2653.jpegIMG_2652.jpegIMG_2651.jpegIMG_2655.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
That almost looks like what I have been seeing in my grow. It looks like my issues was a calcium deficiency.

When you did your change out, are you using calmag?
Not using Calmag and didn’t on the other 2 grows not that they were successful. Was under the impression that was for those that use RO water??

I think it depends on what is in your tap water if that is what you are using. Definitely a must if using RO water.

Have you ever seen a water report?

I would wait and see what some of the others say before you do anything but that looks just like the calcium def I have been seeing in my current grow.

Ok scrolling back thru please tell me if I have this right

Gh trio running at 400PPM on the 5 scale. Is that 1:1:1 ratio?

No cal mag

Orca

Water temps and ph good.

What is your starting ppm?

Pics and screens and lighting can be deceiving but they look on the pale side overall to me.

How quickly are they growing?

I think they are hungry but will wait for answers before advice.

Ok scrolling back thru please tell me if I have this right

Gh trio running at 400PPM on the 5 scale. Is that 1:1:1 ratio?

No cal mag

Orca

Water temps and ph good.

What is your starting ppm?

Pics and screens and lighting can be deceiving but they look on the pale side overall to me.

How quickly are they growing?

I think they are hungry but will wait for answers before advice.
Gh trio running at 400PPM on the 5 scale. Is that 1:1:1 ratio? - yes equal parts of all 3 atm. Last change out made 30 gallons added 0.9 ml/gal of each

No cal mag - none

Orca - yes added 2ml/gal

Water temps and ph good. Water 72 ph 5.8

What is your starting ppm? I believe it was 250ppm

Pics and screens and lighting can be deceiving but they look on the pale side overall to me. - probably the pics gotta get better camera
How quickly are they growing? - was fairly slow seem to be taking off now
Sorry answers above couldn’t figure out how to copy and paste so I could answer in my reply

Sorry answers above couldn’t figure out how to copy and paste so I could answer in my reply
I can see.

So starting at 250 with tap water, and pushing to 500PPM. None of it cal-mag.

Shoot me your zip PM is fine, I want to look up your water report.

I'm leaning hard towards those girls need more N and a little cal-mag.

I didn't see if your GH went in at 1:1:1 ratio grow micro bloom?

I can see.

So starting at 250 with tap water, and pushing to 500PPM. None of it cal-mag.

Shoot me your zip PM is fine, I want to look up your water report.

I'm leaning hard towards those girls need more N and a little cal-mag.

I didn't see if your GH went in at 1:1:1 ratio grow micro bloom?
That’s correct no cal mag

62236 IL American Water

Yes GH trio 1:1:1 or 0.9 ml ea per gal on this batch

water.jpg

Sodium is good.
Maganese is a bit high IMO, but coming from the aquifer I assume.

What causes manganese in water supply?

Manganese is found naturally in groundwater, but levels can be increased by human activities like steel production and mining. Manganese can turn the water a brown or rust color, cause staining of faucets, sinks, or laundry, and make the water have an off off-taste or odor.

Using Chlorine rather than chloramines. That is a little unusual.

At 250 PPM, I think you are OK to mentally call that zero, and add your GH trio to 650 - 750PPM range (500 effective). I would also grab some cal-mag if you can and make it 1:1:1:1 for right now. Cannabis can be a calcium hog, especially when you flip to flower. The stretch causes morphology changes in the plant and it needs calcium to grow that stem structure. Calcium is immobile, so it needs to be readily available in the feed or your plants will suffer.

Back
Top Bottom