New RDWC Hydro Grow - Apples and Bananas - BudBuilders

Not a lot to report today other than things are cruising along nicely, everything has been stable and easy peasy. Working to keep larger fans taken off to keep air moving under the canopy, they are already very sticky. Buds are stacking better than I have ever seen on my plants, this light rocks. Still running just a tad bit over 500 ppm mid bloom ratios of the GH trio with about 100 ppm of cal/mag in top offs. Stretch is over and they're starting to stack calyxes beneath the clusters of pistils, super cool looking.

Pics from week 4 flower.IMG_3262.jpegIMG_3263.jpegIMG_3264.jpegIMG_3265.jpegIMG_3266.jpeg

How far above your net is that tall bugger on the left. Are you worried about support?

Also, what light are you using? I've been looking at getting another eventually. I think Beans is growing under a CLW. Those are pricey but he's seeing awesome results.

How far above your net is that tall bugger on the left. Are you worried about support?

Also, what light are you using? I've been looking at getting another eventually. I think Beans is growing under a CLW. Those are pricey but he's seeing awesome results.
It got a bit taller than I was expecting! I guess I can try to raise that trellis some, it might fall over for sure!

I'm using the Raging Kush II and I do like the light. Seems to perform quite well and worth the cost.

It got a bit taller than I was expecting! I guess I can try to raise that trellis some, it might fall over for sure!

I'm using the Raging Kush II and I do like the light. Seems to perform quite well and worth the cost.
Yeah I asked because I've got a couple that are nearly a foot passed my second screen. I've got the parts to build a third but my poor plant hermied and I want to keep it as accessible as possible for now, at least until the sacs stop showing up. I've been spending a couple hours in there every other night, plucking. I stressed her out so now she's streesing me out 🤣

Yeah I asked because I've got a couple that are nearly a foot passed my second screen. I've got the parts to build a third but my poor plant hermied and I want to keep it as accessible as possible for now, at least until the sacs stop showing up. I've been spending a couple hours in there every other night, plucking. I stressed her out so now she's streesing me out 🤣
Dang, sorry to hear about that bro. How much longer you got to be plucking?

Dang, sorry to hear about that bro. How much longer you got to be plucking?
I don't really know. I think G$ mentioned, in his experience, they stop growing balls around 28 days into flower. The lights will kick on tonight and start the 28th day, so hopefully not long.

I fully expect to have some seeds though. Some have been found growing out of a calyx so I can't begin to imagine how many I've missed.

Into week 5 since flip, things continue to look good.

Up until yesterday, everything had been pretty stable but when I got home I noticed the ppms had jumped up by 50 ppm while I was out of town. PH had also started to drop. This also coincided with a very slight bit of leaf tip burn that I also noticed.

Per this new method I am using, EC rising and PH dropping signaled that I should lower the EC. I did that by just adding straight RO water to dilute things, which also raises the pH slightly because my water sits at about 6.9. Again this morning I noticed the same thing again and diluted again, ppms just a tad bit over 500 now.

I am expecting things to settle down. If they continue like this, I will most likely change out the res and do a reset but I am trying to avoid that if it's not necessary.

Current Photos-IMG_3361.jpegIMG_3362.jpegIMG_3363.jpegIMG_3364.jpegIMG_3365.jpegIMG_3366.jpeg

I was gonna say something about similar bud structure but I'm now noticing you have two apples and bananas threads 🤣

This one looks like it'll have a better yield than the impromptu thread. Think that's the new light?

Yea, these are clones off the plant I just harvested.

Yes, this one is under the Raging Kush and it does look much better at this stage of things. We're about to find out :)

Week 6 flower starting today and went ahead and did a full res change out.

PH had been very stable until about 3 days ago when it started diving downward while at the same time ppms were rising. Got a bit of leaf tip burn off that. Did not have time to do it yesterday like I wanted so I just kept the pH in range and waited until today.

The PH/EC imbalance chart I am using suggested I needed the change out and lowering of the EC. Did exactly that using week 6 GH ratios, 80 ppm of Cal/Mag and resting at a comfortable 420 ppm. Going to watch that over the next day and make any necessary adjustments. My schedule at the dispo has changed and I have Thursdays off now but work 3 shifts now instead of 2, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Hoping to have things stable by the time I leave early Friday morning. I'm most likely not going to betending bar anymore.

Anyhow, here are some photos from today. I think things are going well.IMG_3371.jpegIMG_3372.jpegIMG_3373.jpegIMG_3374.jpegIMG_3375.jpegIMG_3376.jpegIMG_3377.jpegIMG_3378.jpeg

I was looking around at light spectrum information and came across this article on blue light.

It has me intrigued and thinking I might want to try pushing more blue and less red for the last 2-3 weeks of flower. Since I got this fancy light, I might as well try some different things. I really liked this statement in the article, not sure how true it is.

During the final three to seven days of the flowering stage, some growers increase their blue light levels dramatically. This can potentially increase terpenes by 50% while also increasing cannabinoids.

I'm thinking I could start to crank the blues up bit by bit for the next couple of weeks and when she gets close, crank it all the way up for those last few days. If I remember right, that slider on the app is set right in the middle between warm and cool.

Do you have any thoughts on this @Moe.Red? I know you have played with spectrum a lot, curious to hear your thoughts here.

I have a couple A&B at nearly the same point in the flower stage.
They are gorgeous plants with ample frosting.
My daughter gets a strong green apple aroma. I can’t tell, but it’s strong.

You grow is looking great!

Thanks bro, yea, it's a cool strain. I can't really decipher most of the named smells, but sometimes I can. I don't smell apples or bananas but it does sort of smell fruity I guess. My wife loves the smell of this strain too but her favorite was the Tropic of Censer. I like that one too and it was super popular at the dispensary where I work. I shared a clone with my boss and everyone loved it, flew off the shelf. Same thing with the Apples and Bananas, can't keep it in the dispo.

I wish it was a better yielder but the potency and terpenes are hard to beat with this one. Three weeks left and I expect those buds to get bigger for sure but I don't anticipate a huge harvest like some strains are capable of just based on the plant I just harvested with a modest 8.5 oz. If I can at least match that grow, I'll pull down 2 lbs + but I think it may be better because of the light in this tent is much better.

I was looking around at light spectrum information and came across this article on blue light.

It has me intrigued and thinking I might want to try pushing more blue and less red for the last 2-3 weeks of flower. Since I got this fancy light, I might as well try some different things. I really liked this statement in the article, not sure how true it is.

I'm thinking I could start to crank the blues up bit by bit for the next couple of weeks and when she gets close, crank it all the way up for those last few days. If I remember right, that slider on the app is set right in the middle between warm and cool.

Do you have any thoughts on this @Moe.Red? I know you have played with spectrum a lot, curious to hear your thoughts here.
I'll read the article later but in general my research has been that red and blue together in flower is the best THC producer. I think more blue is a good thing, most folks think of reds in flower. I would not adjust red down.

Keep in mind as you flower you have a lower DLI (12 vs 18 hours) so more PPFD while on is usually a good thing assuming the grow is dialed in and the plants can take it.

I'll read the article later but in general my research has been that red and blue together in flower is the best THC producer. I think more blue is a good thing, most folks think of reds in flower. I would not adjust red down.
OK, thanks Moe. Yea, I brought the red down to 90% and bumped the blue to 60% yesterday. I will bump the red back up to 100%. Do you think a gradual increase in blue until I hit 100% or an all at once move and as far as timing goes, should I wait til the last week or start now, currently just entering week 6 flower.

OK, thanks Moe. Yea, I brought the red down to 90% and bumped the blue to 60% yesterday. I will bump the red back up to 100%. Do you think a gradual increase in blue until I hit 100% or an all at once move and as far as timing goes, should I wait til the last week or start now, currently just entering week 6 flower.
As fast as the plants will take it. This is prime cannabinoid making time.

The blurple light I have allows me to turn on and off either red or blue. I may try and turn off red the last week or so and position the light closer to keep up PPFD and see what happens.
I've got a uv/ir switch on my big 450w quantum board, i never turn it on tho cause idfk what the purpose of it is 🤣 🤣

The blurple light I have allows me to turn on and off either red or blue. I may try and turn off red the last week or so and position the light closer to keep up PPFD and see what happens.
well doggone, I have one of those too somewhere. I might just have to crack it out and replace my current fixtu
I've got a uv/ir switch on my big 450w quantum board, i never turn it on tho cause idfk what the purpose of it is 🤣 🤣
It's like the 11 on the knob in spinal tap, it's just one better!

well doggone, I have one of those too somewhere. I might just have to crack it out and replace my current fixtu

It's like the 11 on the knob in spinal tap, it's just one better!
nigel tufnel.jpg

Nigel - "It's one louder, isn't it?"

Marty - "Why not just make ten louder?"

Nigel - ".....these go to eleven...."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom