Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

I've never had a steady weight, I'm either gaining or losing weight. All my life its been a struggle. 71/ 5'7" 265lb...I got down to 221 - 2 years ago....tell me about it.......
We've seen people add ice to cool the roots prior to harvest. Bro Science? I was wondering about using my chiller as a way to do the same thing. I'm not sure how low I can set it but would there be any benefit or cause more harm by not letting the roots uptake anything?

We've seen people add ice to cool the roots prior to harvest. Bro Science? I was wondering about using my chiller as a way to do the same thing. I'm not sure how low I can set it but would there be any benefit or cause more harm by not letting the roots uptake anything?
Stress can be good for the plant trying to produce secondary metabolites, ie cannabinoids.

The coldness of it all (lol) stresses them out.

You can just not give them water too, water drought stress, or significantly decrease the amount of water given.

Then you don't even have to-do anything lol

I'd go a whole night without watering the 210 solos those coco rootzones would be dry as fck by the morning, still lasted till i got to them at night without severe drooping too.

That is definitely one way to harm yields though.

If you're doing it for personel smoke towards the end, okay.

Howdy y'all! Interesting idea about the cold roots, cant hurt to try it out.
I went down to one meal a day for a year and went from 180-200lb to 140-150lbs
Around 2019-2020

Around 150lbs oday

Still barely eat 3 meals a day.
Are you eating less intentionally or just cuz you have less of an appetite? If you dont have an appetite try and start doing lots of cardio and some weights, you will wanna eat more.

I take the approach of: more activity means I can process more nutrients (healthy food) so more performance and health benefits from the healthy food I eat.

Imo, fk all these fad diets like keto and intermittent fasting. Listen to your body and eat a mainly plant based diet with LOTS of leafy greens and low fat, aka Mediterranean diet.

I eat lots of carbs, but nothing processed. If someone ate like me and DIDN't work out a lot they would gain weight.
The secret is to increase your activity level, then increase your HEALTHY calories so you can digest more vitamins and minerals increasing your health and not gaining weight. Does that make sense to anyone or am I just really high? :alien:

Weird. One of the most funky grows ever.

Still flowering. Should have it jarred and cured in time for Halloween and then anyone who wants to do a taste test is welcome
Can't wait to hear the results. I have a buddy that dogged hydro when I first started. He grows in supersoil. He started showing me a little support when he started seeing my results. If my plant tastes anything like she smells, she's gonna be delicious.

Yes please do, all I can find is that below 60f roots stop uptaking nutes but nothing about cooling roots in their final days.
I found this:

“When the root zone temperature of any plant is below 13-14 degrees Celsius, there is zero activity in the plant whatsoever. This means that even if the soil were soaked with nutrients, the plant is not going to take anything because it is too cold.

14C = 57F

I also found that at 40F cannabis roots start to die.

And this

The Importance of Creating a Healthy Root Zone for Cannabis

Root zone management is one of the most crucial aspects of cannabis cultivation. After all, the roots are the primary route for essential water and nutrients to reach plant tissues.

The root system will develop and function best when kept within a specific temperature range (usually between 70 and 78 F, 18-25 C). A master grower should monitor RZT closely, just as he/she needs to monitor and regulate air temperatures. All parts of the plant are interconnected, and nutrient absorption issues can occur in properly fed plants if the root zone temperatures stray outside the correct temperature range for too long.

Without a healthy root system, your cannabis plants can never reach their full potential. For a heavy harvest full of spectacular buds, you’ll want to do everything you can to support the health of your plants’ roots.

Cannabis roots are happiest at around 24°C, (76F) respiring and growing most during the night and early morning hours.

But I found no studies on the practice of cold roots at harvest.

IMO this is not something that makes sense to improve harvest. Open to a real study on this tho.

I found this:

“When the root zone temperature of any plant is below 13-14 degrees Celsius, there is zero activity in the plant whatsoever. This means that even if the soil were soaked with nutrients, the plant is not going to take anything because it is too cold.

14C = 57F

And this

Root zone management is one of the most crucial aspects of cannabis cultivation. After all, the roots are the primary route for essential water and nutrients to reach plant tissues.

The root system will develop and function best when kept within a specific temperature range (usually between 70 and 78 F, 18-25 C). A master grower should monitor RZT closely, just as he/she needs to monitor and regulate air temperatures. All parts of the plant are interconnected, and nutrient absorption issues can occur in properly fed plants if the root zone temperatures stray outside the correct temperature range for too long.

Without a healthy root system, your cannabis plants can never reach their full potential. For a heavy harvest full of spectacular buds, you’ll want to do everything you can to support the health of your plants’ roots.

Cannabis roots are happiest at around 24°C, (76F) respiring and growing most during the night and early morning hours.

IMO this is not something that makes sense to improve harvest. Open to a real study on this tho.
Going by this articles info, both soil and water need to maintain temp within range if they want their plants respiring and growing at full capacity? In soil, this would mean that staying in that air temp parameter should translate to similar numbers in soil?

Going by this articles info, both soil and water need to maintain temp within range if they want their plants respiring and growing at full capacity? In soil, this would mean that staying in that air temp parameter should translate to similar numbers in soil?
That’s my takeaway

Cold slows things down too cold shuts them off.

I found this:

14C = 57F

And this

Thanks Moe, Like I said I think we've all seen or heard of folks doing the ice thing at harvest. More Bro science ? but where did that come from? just some yahoo thinking with colder roots in fall means a more potent plant at harvest?

I'd read 68f for best root temp somewhere so my whole run was set at 68f and they've grown well. I'll try warmer next run, I have it at 70f now.

Thanks Moe, Like I said I think we've all seen or heard of folks doing the ice thing at harvest. More Bro science ? but where did that come from? just some yahoo thinking with colder roots in fall means a more potent plant at harvest?

I'd read 68f for best root temp somewhere so my whole run was set at 68f and they've grown well. I'll try warmer next run, I have it at 70f now.
I was told something similar. The reasoning that was explained to me is weed grows best near a spring and those springs are cold water. I didn't know enough at the time to doubt it.

Sneak peek - got a batch in the autoclave. I'll be putting plants in tomorrow.

View attachment 22733
Can you explain what you have there and what its used for.

I had to look up autoclave so im good there

An autoclave is a machine that uses steam under pressure to kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and spores on items that are placed inside a pressure vessel

I’ll spill it all figured I’d do it all at once in a new thread after I get the first batch going.

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2914.jpeg

I’m working with 4 different “recipes “.

This one is rooting. Food color red so I can keep them straight. Labels do not last in an autoclave.

IMG_2921.jpeg

I’ll explain in detail when I have all the pics

Back
Top Bottom