Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

So on the press, I have been having some problems with efficiency. I was getting 7 - 9% output. Pretty low. Run the same stuff thru the rotovap and getting easily double.

This time I used "fresh" weed that has just come out of dry. I used a smaller round prepress which gives better PSI on the puck, and less distance for the wax to travel. I upped the temps to 215 and time to 130 seconds. That got me up in the 15% range, I can live with that.

I'll continue to tweak it as I learn more. I think I have room for more heat and pressure, the result is quite blonde.

So on the press, I have been having some problems with efficiency. I was getting 7 - 9% output. Pretty low. Run the same stuff thru the rotovap and getting easily double.

This time I used "fresh" weed that has just come out of dry. I used a smaller round prepress which gives better PSI on the puck, and less distance for the wax to travel. I upped the temps to 215 and time to 130 seconds. That got me up in the 15% range, I can live with that.

I'll continue to tweak it as I learn more. I think I have room for more heat and pressure, the result is quite blonde.

There's a few adjustments to get the blonde...Lower temps and longer pressings usually do it for me

This is a 185*F, 5 minute press resulting in a blonde crumble/budder. Flow usually stops between 3.5 and 4.5 minutes but I go for 5 just to get as much yield as possible and hits around a 25% return

IMG_4295.JPG

Between 170 and 190 will bring lighter color. Anything above 200 will usually turn dark amber to chocolate. The lower the temp, the lighter the color but also let it press longer than normal for best yields.
Strain and moisture content always play it's role as I'm sure you know, just always a crap shoot there, but you have a freeze dryer so a blonde live resin should come ez at the lower temps. 😉

There's a few adjustments to get the blonde...Lower temps and longer pressings usually do it for me

This is a 185*F, 5 minute press resulting in a blonde crumble/budder. Flow usually stops between 3.5 and 4.5 minutes but I go for 5 just to get as much yield as possible and hits around a 25% return

View attachment 9943

Between 170 and 190 will bring lighter color. Anything above 200 will usually turn dark amber to chocolate. The lower the temp, the lighter the color but also let it press longer than normal for best yields.
Strain and moisture content always play it's role as I'm sure you know, just always a crap shoot there, but you have a freeze dryer so a blonde live resin should come ez at the lower temps. 😉
Interestingly enough, "rehydrating" buds meaning putting them in the jar at 68% for a couple weeks had no impact on older buds. I thought for sure it would help. I guess once they get too dry for pressing, you missed your opportunity?

I've never even gotten close to 5 minutes. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Do you use bags?

Interestingly enough, "rehydrating" buds meaning putting them in the jar at 68% for a couple weeks had no impact on older buds. I thought for sure it would help. I guess once they get too dry for pressing, you missed your opportunity?

I've never even gotten close to 5 minutes. I'll give that a try, thanks.

Do you use bags?
Yeah I use bags now. I once used a prepress but I like what bags deliver but there's tricks to using them.
To match size I go with a width that's half my plate size and height equal to plate size so for my 4"x4" plates I use a 2"x4" bag. The drier the weed the tighter the micron is ideal but I find a 120 micron is a good all purpose mesh.
The bottom corners also need to be folded in to prevent bag blowouts so until a routine is developed it can be frustrating dialing in bags.
The drier the weed, usually the more it will come out of a bag natually dewaxed and in a ez to handle crumble state while moisture results in waxy oil

This is only time i use boveda to rehydrate and i use the 72.
I have found the shorter the cure the blonder the finished product

Edit: if using bags, make sure the seam is on the outside, you may have to turn the bags inside out

Yeah I use bags now. I once used a prepress but I like what bags deliver but there's tricks to using them.
To match size I go with a width that's half my plate size and height equal to plate size so for my 4"x4" plates I use a 2"x4" bag. The drier the weed the tighter the micron is ideal but I find a 120 micron is a good all purpose mesh.
The bottom corners also need to be folded in to prevent bag blowouts so until a routine is developed it can be frustrating dialing in bags.
The drier the weed, usually the more it will come out of a bag natually dewaxed and in a ez to handle crumble state while moisture results in waxy oil
I run the 120 as well I turn my bags inside out so the stitching is on the outside the theory is it traps flow if left on the inside .

Nice u like that round press don’t ya? , did ya see an increase ?
Too many variables to say for sure, but yes the round pre-press was at least partially responsible for doubling my output from 7% to 15%.

I'm also using different bud that just came out of dry, and higher temp longer time.

I think the biggest difference was in the bud personally. Need more time with the press to be sure.

Bugs are getting out of control. DE is not getting it done. Once wet it is pretty useless.

Got the other suggestions on order and will be here tomorrow. I'll do a closeup on what works to kill MFing fruit flies. All bugs can eat shit. Except for the predatory ones coming in the mail. They cool.

Bugs are getting out of control. DE is not getting it done. Once wet it is pretty useless.

Got the other suggestions on order and will be here tomorrow. I'll do a closeup on what works to kill MFing fruit flies. All bugs can eat shit. Except for the predatory ones coming in the mail. They cool.
What did you order for predatory bugs.

I thought catching them on the yellow traps would help. Gonna have to get them at the source I think.
Sticky traps are good to monitor a situation, but they don't seem to control gnats.

If nematodes are part of your beneficials package, they seem to take 1-2 weeks to really start bringing the population down.

Bti and stickies

We crushed em and sprinkled on top of the media. It does take a couple weeks and the stickies should be placed as close to the media as possible. Turn temo up as warm as the plants allow you to also

Back
Top Bottom