Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

i wonder if making a "modified" version of a type of "aerogel" for a substrate.

Why are you using what looks like coco and perlite above you're fogger/ and or cloner?

Suppose it doesn't matter when it grows through

It's probably negligible but what about any loose sediment that drops through?

No concern?
They stay in those netcups and plug into the big system later. Coco to try to keep it somewhat sealed for the O2.

Soil growers I could use a hand here.

IMG_2475.jpeg
IMG_2476.png

There are 2 kinds of soil here. This one is the problem royal gold mendo mix.

IMG_2477.jpeg
IMG_2478.jpeg

I saw this going downhill and attempted a light top dress with this

IMG_2479.jpeg

On only the plant in the front left. Made it worse.

I added mosquito bits just prior to this for gnats that seems like they came from the mendo mix.

Currently low ppfd in recovery mode. But I’m not sure what to do here.

IMO, start at the beginning and go down the checklist of what could be wrong from easiest to hardest.

Easiest? Watering practices. You're using two different soils. Why did you pick them and what is their makeup that lends to watering issues? More perlite? More Coco? More peat? I suspect if it's watering practices your soil is holding more water than the other.

Using RO to fully saturate. It was a week between last watering took forever to dry back.

I feel like this problem is in the roots as well, but I can't see them. I hope they are not getting chewed on by gnats.

Using RO to fully saturate. It was a week between last watering took forever to dry back.

I feel like this problem is in the roots as well, but I can't see them. I hope they are not getting chewed on by gnats.
Plants that size in airpots shouldn't take that long to dryback. They stunted and aren't feeding as vigorously as they should. You mentioned you pulled your light intensity back. That's good. I would give it a few days and see if the problem persists or if the dryback and lower intensity help them recover. I have a feeling the mendo soil doesn't drain all that well. The amendments listed don't indicate a nutrient deficiency. I doubt its bugs unless the soil wasn't sterilized. Are you experiencing a lot of fliers in the air and traps? I know you used MB for gnat prevention. That's the only thing I can think of that you've done differently. Why just with the mendo soil? Not sure. Some sort of reaction with the MB?

Gnat infestation, for me, indicates the soil is staying too wet too long allowing gnats to get a foothold and eggs to hatch.

As you know I use Azamax as a general insecticide when things get out of hand.

I thought plain RO was a no no. I can’t remember the specifics. I feel like I vaguely remember @Aqua Man mentioning this. I could be totally mistaken though. Have you tried a slurry test to get the soil ph?

I thought plain RO was a no no. I can’t remember the specifics. I feel like I vaguely remember @Aqua Man mentioning this. I could be totally mistaken though. Have you tried a slurry test to get the soil ph?
its a benefit in his case imo. You just dont want to use pure RO if you dont have a source of nutrients

So tap that has been dechlorinated but with calcium and magnesium in it would be good?
I really don’t get the dechlorinated part. Im not sure why ppl think tap needs to be dechlorinated. They also seem to think bubbling it dechlorinates it but that hasn’t been the case for many years now… chloramine just can’t be removed that way.

Any water is fine as long as you have proper nutrients available like already in the media. You would not want to use RO for say a cloner without adding something to it

I feel like the dryback is taking too long and don’t understand that. Should I have gone smaller pot at this stage? Some growers sow seeds in the final pot they flower in?

I wonder what is going on with the roots. Are they drowning?

The plants in lush look great. It’s something with this soil.

I really don’t get the dechlorinated part. Im not sure why ppl think tap needs to be dechlorinated. They also seem to think bubbling it dechlorinates it but that hasn’t been the case for many years now… chloramine just can’t be removed that way.

Any water is fine as long as you have proper nutrients available like already in the media. You would not want to use RO for say a cloner without adding something to it
Plants even use/need a little chlorine

Obviously too much of anything can lead to a toxicity

But yea

I've read somewhere chlorine will eventually evaporate away?

I don't know.

I feel like the dryback is taking too long and don’t understand that. Should I have gone smaller pot at this stage? Some growers sow seeds in the final pot they flower in?

I wonder what is going on with the roots. Are they drowning?

Combination of plant size, media, pot size and environment.

Especially young plants can take a week even in smaller pots. If i was going soil not peat but soil id stay on the smaller side with multiple up pots indoors

With that pot size and soil im gonna say easy a week and longer to get good dry back. Which may leave the soil moisture uneven so you probably will want to scratch the surface up before each watering

I havent had any luck with any soil that contains coco.
All my worst grows were in coco based soils and so far my best grow was promix which is all peat and perlite so im now strictly peat based soils only here.

As you know, plant diagnosis is not my area by any means, so im gonna follow along and learn something maybe.

No way you have had gnats long enough for them to be at an eat your roots off stage.
Will be three to five days before you see any improvement from top dressing.
Weird thing is it looks like two possible things to me. A lockout, or your roots are drowning.
Any strange smells?
Allowing any drying time before trying to push more?

I havent had any luck with any soil that contains coco.
All my worst grows were in coco based soils and so far my best grow was promix which is all peat and perlite so im now strictly peat based soils only here.

As you know, plant diagnosis is not my area by any means, so im gonna follow along and learn something maybe.
I have had more hell with soil containing coco than any other medium. The watering becomes a nightmare. Top dries, bottom stays wet. Rotted roots, plants starving for oxygen on and on. I no longer even consider it.

I have had more hell with soil containing coco than any other medium. The watering becomes a nightmare. Top dries, bottom stays wet. Rotted roots, plants starving for oxygen on and on. I no longer even consider it.
I have been trying to increase growth rates on some plants I am not intended to use other than as Moms. I am running Fox Farms Coco Loco and it is working well. I did take a look at the Royal Gold Mendo Mix and it looked similar to what I am using.
@Moe Red if you want I have a connection to the sales rep if you want me to get legit info on the stuff.

Soil growers I could use a hand here.

View attachment 11487
View attachment 11488

There are 2 kinds of soil here. This one is the problem royal gold mendo mix.

View attachment 11490
View attachment 11491

I saw this going downhill and attempted a light top dress with this

View attachment 11492

On only the plant in the front left. Made it worse.

I added mosquito bits just prior to this for gnats that seems like they came from the mendo mix.

Currently low ppfd in recovery mode. But I’m not sure what to do here.

I do not like coco. #teampeat

But it looks like a watering/dryback issue to me as well

Back
Top Bottom