Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

No way you have had gnats long enough for them to be at an eat your roots off stage.
Will be three to five days before you see any improvement from top dressing.
Weird thing is it looks like two possible things to me. A lockout, or your roots are drowning.
Any strange smells?
Allowing any drying time before trying to push more?
No smells.

The bottom of these pots is totally full of holes. No real way to swamp the roots and hold it there unless it is a property of the media.

I have been letting them dry back fully in between. It's weird, I was expecting 3 - 5 days of dryback, but it is 7 - 8 days actually.

If anyone thinks there is an environmental component to this, I have full control and running this where I normally would for plants at this stage, but easy to adjust.

If this were hydro I would suspect root rot.

I have not added any ferts at all except the small single pot top dress I mentioned.

No change this morning.

This is an example of what a new grower faces. These were the recommendation by the hydro store.

Going forward - lesson learned no coco in soil. Pick one or the other.

On another note. I think the gnats might be controlled at this point. We will see but traps are staying about the same.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

No smells.

The bottom of these pots is totally full of holes. No real way to swamp the roots and hold it there unless it is a property of the media.

I have been letting them dry back fully in between. It's weird, I was expecting 3 - 5 days of dryback, but it is 7 - 8 days actually.

If anyone thinks there is an environmental component to this, I have full control and running this where I normally would for plants at this stage, but easy to adjust.

If this were hydro I would suspect root rot.

I have not added any ferts at all except the small single pot top dress I mentioned.

No change this morning.
CG's also mentioned lockout.

Making a note to myself: Mendo Mix is evil and loaded with bugs, stick with COM or Roots.
That's all I got.

EDIT: Coco or peat as a base is a push. Both are inert and have a neutral pH but peat holds water better than the coco. Good rule of thumb is coco for cool weather, peat for warm weather.
And make sure the coco based stuff is using very well rinsed coco. If it's salty, it's toxic. And it's looking to me like Mendo Mix does not rinse the salt from their coco giving you a toxic medium.

Last edited:
Totally open to suggestions.
Transplant into fresh, good soil. If it were in a DWC and doing that, you'd be changing out it's growing enviroment, the water, ASAP! Same thing holds true for your soil. Until you have a tried and true mixture, it's like you're trying Jack's, by the book, in DWC. We know how well that worked. LOL!!!
The Lush is looking great. Repeat with the 3 sick ones, just sayin.... if it works, repeat!

Transplant into fresh, good soil. If it were in a DWC and doing that, you'd be changing out it's growing enviroment, the water, ASAP! Same thing holds true for your soil. Until you have a tried and true mixture, it's like you're trying Jack's, by the book, in DWC. We know how well that worked. LOL!!!
The Lush is looking great. Repeat with the 3 sick ones, just sayin.... if it works, repeat!
I may do that. Gonna require a trip to the store...

Moe I have an idea of part of your problem. Can you lift the pots off the floor if they are in fact setting on the tent floor. That could explain your lack of dryback and plant problems. I use 3/4" pieced of wood 4 per pot

Just built this to get a pic.

View attachment 11588
View attachment 11589
So not on the floor. Probably 2” total of air space.

You're running the screen too low and limiting it's performance ability. Next time raise it to ride on the second or third row of nipples ;)
I also notice you have super weird airpots. Those nipples should have holes at the tips so you have like airpots with only 50% of the normal holes or something. Weird!

You're running the screen too low and limiting it's performance ability. Next time raise it to ride on the second or third row of nipples ;)
I also notice you have super weird airpots. Those nipples should have holes at the tips so you have like airpots with only 50% of the normal holes or something. Weird!
I could probably do that now if you think it is worth it.

Sorry got going too fast. Here are the real ones.

View attachment 11595
View attachment 11596

Those are some seriously funky airpots with those lips over the holes. Those lips will redirect roots backwards and they may not airprune. I'd drill those lips out of there and open those holes up to be 2-3x that size.
They probably did that to make watering easier and less of a mess but that where the dunk technique of watering comes into play or using drip irrigation is also a good idea

Those are some seriously funky airpots with those lips over the holes. Those lips will redirect roots backwards and they may not airprune. I'd drill those lips out of there and open those holes up to be 2-3x that size.
They probably did that to make watering easier and less of a mess but that where the dunk technique of watering comes into play or using drip irrigation is also a good idea
I'm about ready to pull these out and go to fabric pots. These cheap shits seem to be causing problems. They are a knock off of what you use available from Amazon. Probably a bad call on my part.

I'm about ready to pull these out and go to fabric pots. These cheap shits seem to be causing problems. They are a knock off of what you use available from Amazon. Probably a bad call on my part.
I say it a lot man...airpots are often imitated but rarely duplicated. Lots of knock offs out there that just don't get it right for a variety of reasons.
The square holed versions were the worst I'd seen though so at least you avoided those.

Yours will work, they just need to be modified. The top 3 rows of nipples should be closed off to contain and direct water downwards, maybe use hot glue on those, and yep I'd drill out all the other holes to be bigger

Its more than just the pots imo

The plants on the right like the pots but the 4 on the left don't???
Agree. Looks like tell tale signs of unwashed coco used in the Mendo Mix.
Over in Sri Lanka where most coco comes from they wash huge piles of coco with sea water right there on the beaches. That sea water dries and leaves behind salt which needs to be well rinsed before using.
Run a TDS test on it and check what a handful of soil soaked in maybe a half gallon of water or so will read...I'd bet it's well up over 1000ppm and close to 2000 with that kind of toxicity showing. Almost as if it's been watered with salt water from the ocean. Organic soils should barely register a TDS reading if any at all

Agree. Looks like tell tale signs of unwashed coco used in the Mendo Mix.
Over in Sri Lanka where most coco comes from they wash huge piles of coco with sea water right there on the beaches. That sea water dries and leaves behind salt which needs to be well rinsed before using.
Run a TDS test on it and check what a handful of soil soaked in maybe a half gallon of water or so will read...I'd bet it's well up over 1000ppm and close to 2000 with that kind of toxicity showing. Almost as if it's been watered with salt water from the ocean. Organic soils should barely register a TDS reading if any at all
I think the opposite… inert media will be close to 0. But anything with organics will be high. Imo there is no way to know how well the coco was pre-rinsed now thats its mixed. Its not uncommon to see organic soils produce a ppm of over 3000 and be fine. All the tannins and many other things increase the ppm you will read when dealing with a media that has organics.

About the only way to know if sodium is high from the coco is a soil test that shows sodium levels.

This to me looks like an o2 issue from the amount of water the media holds.

I think the opposite… inert media will be close to 0. But anything with organics will be high. Imo there is no way to know how well the coco was pre-rinsed now thats its mixed. Its not uncommon to see organic soils produce a ppm of over 3000 and be fine. All the tannins and many other things increase the ppm you will read when dealing with a media that has organics.

About the only way to know if sodium is high from the coco is a soil test that shows sodium levels.

This to me looks like an o2 issue from the amount of water the media holds.
If a soil or potting mix is running a high ppm it's one probably one of two things...salt or sand in the mix. Neither should be in there IMO if you want a clean soil grow. I think mine run in the low 200s because I eliminate salts and anything that can bring salt to the party.
There's defintly a lot of things fucked up with these plants with one issue exacerbating another issue. Toxicity leading to uptake issues leading to waterlogged medium and no air for roots. They need the complete overhaul as suggested to save them, new soil and almost new everything to clear that stuff out of the roots.

Back
Top Bottom