Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

Yeah its a sealed tent for CO2, so the devices need to be inside without exhaust.

The Dehey in the upper left drains to waste. The mini split does not have an exhaust. I also have a humidifier on the floor, so I can maintain pinpoint control of any setpoint.

The AC also heats, it is a heat pump style device.

Yeah its a sealed tent for CO2, so the devices need to be inside without exhaust.

The Dehey in the upper left drains to waste. The mini split does not have an exhaust. I also have a humidifier on the floor, so I can maintain pinpoint control of any setpoint.

Some day ill have a set up similar to that 👍🏻
But things like that dont happen overnight so itll be a ways down the road, and thats ok lol.

Both of my 4x8s are set up like this, only on the other one it has a giant honking deheuy outside the tent that is ducted in.

dehuey.png

When I am pushing 8 plants and they are transpiring and growing fast, they can overpower a 70lpd deheuy, especially at lights out. I hate mold.

LOL, details please ... specs and cost of your mini-split? I've considered purchasing one but have not taken the plunge as of yet.

Hey @MDK let me know next time you will be in my area. If you want it, I have a bunch of soil, worm castings, mush compost, and soil based nutes in the CG style I am getting rid of. I have a bunch of other stuff like pots that I really want to get out of here. Yours if you come pick up.

LOL, details please ... specs and cost of your mini-split? I've considered purchasing one but have not taken the plunge as of yet.
Hmmmm, it's been a minute since I bought these. I think the first one was 2017 maybe?

I doubt what I paid is useful info any more. But they are both 12000s and keep up with a 4x8 with HID lighting easily. I'll try to get more details this weekend, I don't even remember the brand ATM.

I installed them myself. It's not that hard.

Hmmmm, it's been a minute since I bought these. I think the first one was 2017 maybe?

I doubt what I paid is useful info any more. But they are both 12000s and keep up with a 4x8 with HID lighting easily. I'll try to get more details this weekend, I don't even remember the brand ATM.

I installed them myself. It's not that hard.
I've always read that an HVAC professional needed to be hired to make the final connections. Only a few units out there are advertised as "DIY-able" What would make one unit a DIY project and the other something where a professional is required? ... Just asking for my own knowledge

Hey @MDK let me know next time you will be in my area. If you want it, I have a bunch of soil, worm castings, mush compost, and soil based nutes in the CG style I am getting rid of. I have a bunch of other stuff like pots that I really want to get out of here. Yours if you come pick up.
Will gladly take the stuff for CGs method off your hands been wanting to try her method but life got me down a bit. Whenever it works best for you, my main days open at the moment are weds and Sats....Sundays are negotiable I can usually get my mom to babysit my little one.

Still good to drop that light off to ya see what you think on it?

I've always read that an HVAC professional needed to be hired to make the final connections. Only a few units out there are advertised as "DIY-able" What would make one unit a DIY project and the other something where a professional is required? ... Just asking for my own knowledge
With a unit like this

The refrigerant lines are pre-charged, and have a special connector that allows you to tighten them on without leaking during the install. It's actually pretty slick.

If you buy one that does not come pre-charged, you will need to have an HVAC tech come and fill the system and lines with refrigerant. You can still install the hardware yourself, but they will need to stop by when done.

Will gladly take the stuff for CGs method off your hands been wanting to try her method but life got me down a bit. Whenever it works best for you, my main days open at the moment are weds and Sats....Sundays are negotiable I can usually get my mom to babysit my little one.

Still good to drop that light off to ya see what you think on it?
Could do tomorrow for drop off and pickup, but I will not be able to work on the light while you wait. My Aunt is in town from NY, leaving Sunday, so mom and auntie are going to be here Sat.

Could do tomorrow for drop off and pickup, but I will not be able to work on the light while you wait. My Aunt is in town from NY, leaving Sunday, so mom and auntie are going to be here Sat.
Yea I plan on just dropping it off so you can look at it when u get around to it. I'll shoot you a dm later once I talk to my wife just to confirm it's cool she has to get kids some Halloween costumes and shit so I'd have to be within her parameters a bit

With a unit like this

The refrigerant lines are pre-charged, and have a special connector that allows you to tighten them on without leaking during the install. It's actually pretty slick.

If you buy one that does not come pre-charged, you will need to have an HVAC tech come and fill the system and lines with refrigerant. You can still install the hardware yourself, but they will need to stop by when done.
@Moe.Red Thank you for that information ...

I'm considering a mini-split for a west wall bedroom (not my grow tents lol). During the summer evenings, The sun pours through the window and the room heats up to uncomfortable levels (despite central air). The rest of the house stays comfortable. I have a window AC unit I have used in years past but electrical costs have risen dramatically in my area in the last 12 months.

@Moe.Red Thank you for that information ...

I'm considering a mini-split for a west wall bedroom (not my grow tents lol). During the summer evenings, The sun pours through the window and the room heats up to uncomfortable levels (despite central air). The rest of the house stays comfortable. I have a window AC unit I have used in years past but electrical costs have risen dramatically in my area in the last 12 months.
FWIW they have been incredibly efficient and have required no maintenance over many years worth of grows. Quiet too.

If you have a spot outside that wall where you can put the condenser where you do not have long runs, it really is not hard as a DIY project.

If you have the ability to mount this outside and run proper conductors to it, that is the hardest part. The rest is just drilling holes and screwing things in.

I want to tag @Scotty 420 into this conversation about split AC because if i remember correctly he is a HVAC tech
I've ben watching it, but Moe's got it covered pretty well. In fact I had a reply half way typed up to explain DIY mini splits vs. pro installed units & he beat me to the punch. The only thing at all I can think that might need to be added at this point is on top of needing a pro to charge the unit if you're installing a non-DIY system is needing to pull a deep vacuum on the system before you charge it. You have to make sure any air/water vapor is out of the system before you put any freon in. Which is the advantage of the pre charged lines, you don't have to worry about air getting in, just understand they're a one time connection, once you put them together they really can't be disconnected ever again, or at least in my experience you'll never get it to reseal. But mainly just wanted to add that in case someone does have access to freon & wants to charge it themselves, don't do it unless you have access to a proper vacuum pump.

Only other thing is just make sure you read directions thoroughly as excess lineset needs to be dealt with in very specific ways etc. Otherwise if you can make the holes in your house & install the electrical to feed the outdoor unit, there's no reason you can't do the rest.

I've ben watching it, but Moe's got it covered pretty well. In fact I had a reply half way typed up to explain DIY mini splits vs. pro installed units & he beat me to the punch. The only thing at all I can think that might need to be added at this point is on top of needing a pro to charge the unit if you're installing a non-DIY system is needing to pull a deep vacuum on the system before you charge it. You have to make sure any air/water vapor is out of the system before you put any freon in. Which is the advantage of the pre charged lines, you don't have to worry about air getting in, just understand they're a one time connection, once you put them together they really can't be disconnected ever again, or at least in my experience you'll never get it to reseal. But mainly just wanted to add that in case someone does have access to freon & wants to charge it themselves, don't do it unless you have access to a proper vacuum pump.

Only other thing is just make sure you read directions thoroughly as excess lineset needs to be dealt with in very specific ways etc. Otherwise if you can make the holes in your house & install the electrical to feed the outdoor unit, there's no reason you can't do the rest.
Thanks for the extra information. It sounds like if you cross-thread one of those fittings on install you're SOL. It would probably never work correctly after that. ... It sounds like much is the same when working on automobile AC units. They don't work well with water in the lines.

At the end of the day, I'm sure I'm more than capable of doing the work. I'm a mechanical tech with a pretty good background in wiring. I'm just not an HVAC tech.

What i got out of what scotty said is dont buy a used DIY split. Once they are charged and disconnected they won't reseal again in his experience

Thanks for the extra information. It sounds like if you cross-thread one of those fittings on install you're SOL. It would probably never work correctly after that. ... It sounds like much is the same when working on automobile AC units. They don't work well with water in the lines.

At the end of the day, I'm sure I'm more than capable of doing the work. I'm a mechanical tech with a pretty good background in wiring. I'm just not an HVAC tech.
It could be fixed, but you'd probably have to call in backup at that point. They used to (they may still for all I know) make those DIY type setups with a central AC system. I think it was mainly for mobile homes, they would thread back off & on, but you could never get them to reseal & you were constantly back recharging it. You just basically have to cut out the quick connect & either braze or flare a straight piece of copper in it's place

What i got out of what scotty said is dont buy a used DIY split. Once they are charged and disconnected they won't reseal again in his experience
Buying used AC systems is always dicey. The problem is they're almost never in a working state where you can verify operation & the way they were removed & stored can entirely ruin what would have been a perfectly good piece of equipment. And when you consider either the amount of time & materials your going to spend installing it or god forbid you're going to pay someone else to install it only to hope that it actually works when you're done.

My main point was really to make sure you plumb everything up & have it totally ready & make connections as one of the final parts of the install, because if you have to remake the connection it might suck.

Buying used AC systems is always dicey. The problem is they're almost never in a working state where you can verify operation & the way they were removed & stored can entirely ruin what would have been a perfectly good piece of equipment. And when you consider either the amount of time & materials your going to spend installing it or god forbid you're going to pay someone else to install it only to hope that it actually works when you're done.

My main point was really to make sure you plumb everything up & have it totally ready & make connections as one of the final parts of the install, because if you have to remake the connection it might suck.
I did a build for someone that had almost no budget so practically everything had to be used. Knew someone that was taking down their room so I told the client that there were no guarantees that it would work but that if they wanted to go check it out before they took it down they could. They liked the gear so we bought three 30k minis, eight 4 x 8 floods, 100 gal res and a bunch of exhaust fans for $900. It all went together without any leaks but that was my biggest fear was refrigerant leakage.

Don't forget the 240 fused knife switch......

Back when I installed these legality was a bit different and I didn’t want outsiders in the house. Both went in without a hitch and never a leak or a recharge needed. It’s raining now but I’ll give you a pic outdoors tomorrow

Agsil16 50lbs - 327$~

Don't seem to see a 25lb option

Find any other options for potassium silicate? Few LBs?

Would anyone be down to send me a few Lbs or so if they were able to buy the bulk bag?

Of course, I'll pay for the crystals/powder/salts and shipping.

Agsil16 50lbs - 327$~

Don't seem to see a 25lb option

Find any other options for potassium silicate? Few LBs?

Would anyone be down to send me a few Lbs or so if they were able to buy the bulk bag?

Of course, I'll pay for the crystals/powder/salts and shipping.

That’s where I got mine.

That’s where I got mine.
Ok sweet thatll work, appreciate it.

If I got it right

Water (1gal) > add potassium silicate, mix (dose?) > Let it set (how long?)> add phosphoric acid (dose?/to pH target?) > =MSA? (resulting dose?) > add nutrients > check pH > water plants

Sorry to bother, thank you.

Ok sweet thatll work, appreciate it.

If I got it right

Water (1gal) > add potassium silicate, mix (dose?) > Let it set (how long?)> add phosphoric acid (dose?/to pH target?) > =MSA? (resulting dose?) > add nutrients > check pH > water plants

Sorry to bother, thank you.
You are in coco and hand watering? Sorry seen too many grows and smoked too many marijuanas to keep it all straight.

You are in coco and hand watering? Sorry seen too many grows and smoked too many marijuanas to keep it all straight.
Yes sir, currently hand watering flowers and planning on setting up auto-watering on a veg run here soon, with a 18gal black tote as a Res.

0.30-0.50 gallon container, 6 inch black planter.

Coco/perlite mix

70%+ of Substrate enveloped by roots

One plant is in 100% Vermiculite though.

Attachments

• IMG_20231026_022617.jpg
    IMG_20231026_022617.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231026_022644.jpg
    IMG_20231026_022644.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231026_022627.jpg
    IMG_20231026_022627.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom