Red's Thread ~ All things Cannabis

I’m glad I transplanted these were too wet. First mistake.

35D97A7A-F1E1-43AF-ADEE-AA5FA5DA2986.jpeg
E734CED7-4D3A-44DD-946D-5931EC699EEA.jpeg

Thanks @GoodShit97 for the lighter on the solo cup idea.

@GrumpAzz I was going to do that but I didn't have any clear ones. But yeah next time I will do it that way this transplant was unnecessary and will be skipped moving forward.

Last edited:
I like this. Others have said it too. So maybe I walk into the grow shop and buy the basic starter kit for one of these 4 setups.
My first grow, that Willow let flower, was all bought at same place. Already had lights.

Sunshine Mix #4
FFGB
FFTB
PH Down (GH)

Got a few things at the dollar store and that was it. Not even epsom or CalMag.

I got lucky and grew out my first 4 in tent. Lost one as it was male. Grew it in the office closet, it’s in a baggie now as I hoped I could use the pollen later, but seems not.

Rest all flowered to different degrees. But I no longer trust advice from grow stores. More interested in selling shit than helping newbs just grow.

You'll appreciate this Moe. First ever custom patch cable. Used a pass through terminal, though and my crimper doesn't have the blade to cut the wires flush, so it won't fully connect in the switch port because the wires are sticking out too far 🤣View attachment 3952View attachment 3953
In a pinch good straight edge nail clippers do a good job. Used to make cords all the time.

I’m glad I transplanted these were too wet. First mistake.

View attachment 5003
View attachment 5004

Thanks @GoodShit97 for the lighter on the solo cup idea.

@GrumpAzz I was going to do that but I didn't have any clear ones. But yeah next time I will do it that way this transplant was unnecessary and will be skipped moving forward.
I double cup because my wife and son bring home McDonalds $1 drinks in the summer. I wash and drill 5 holes 4+ one in middle.

Then it’s easy just to check for roots or any issues.
1C7B7BA3-B8C6-4238-871B-EDF571E30EAC.jpeg

Necessary, no, but extremely helpful to newbs.

In a pinch good straight edge nail clippers do a good job. Used to make cords all the time.
i ended up using a razor because the straight cut clippers wouldn't get close enough to the plug. the cable still ended up being DOA lol first time crimping CAT6, so kind of expected it to not work.

gotta practice more, and get a tester, though because I'll be running ~24 cables in the new house for cameras, access points, and keystone jacks in various rooms and outside. don't want to end up having a high fail rate at cable terminations in the process ya know.

i ended up using a razor because the straight cut clippers wouldn't get close enough to the plug. the cable still ended up being DOA lol first time crimping CAT6, so kind of expected it to not work.

gotta practice more, and get a tester, though because I'll be running ~24 cables in the new house for cameras, access points, and keystone jacks in various rooms and outside. don't want to end up having a high fail rate at cable terminations in the process ya know.
I always used the cutter to trim the wires to length before inserting them into the RJ45 and crimping. Your tool and system might be different w cat6 though I dunno. My telemaster is like 20yrs old lol.

I always used the cutter to trim the wires to length before inserting them into the RJ45 and crimping. Your tool and system might be different w cat6 though I dunno. My telemaster is like 20yrs old lol.
well, i bought some pass-through connectors, and then bought the crimper not realizing that the crimper that is supposed to be used with these kind of connectors has a blade to trim the wires at length. going forward, i'll be cutting em to length before they go into the connector.

at least when it comes to punching the other ends down in the patch panel, length won't be a problem. that should be easier to do than crimping RJ45s on, at least so says my inexperience lol

Tuned in for this show Moe. I see some things I use and do and some things I'd never use or do.😋 But that's soil for ya...101 ways to skin this cat.
Best of luck with this project Buddy! Looking forward to seeing how you like dirt✌️

well, i bought some pass-through connectors, and then bought the crimper not realizing that the crimper that is supposed to be used with these kind of connectors has a blade to trim the wires at length. going forward, i'll be cutting em to length before they go into the connector.

at least when it comes to punching the other ends down in the patch panel, length won't be a problem. that should be easier to do than crimping RJ45s on, at least so says my inexperience lol
I’ve run miles and installed racks and well you know. IT background. If I can help let me know.

Do you have a punch down tool for the panels? If so you got what you need the rest is just experience

Tuned in for this show Moe. I see some things I use and do and some things I'd never use or do.😋 But that's soil for ya...101 ways to skin this cat.
Best of luck with this project Buddy! Looking forward to seeing how you like dirt✌️
Thx man. I’m definitely channeling your advice here. Air pots are ready when the plants are.

Thx man. I’m definitely channeling your advice here. Air pots are ready when the plants are.
I woulda gone straight from germination into those airpots but understand. I've been doing it for a long time and can avoid any kind of dampening off but it's also tricky to stick a seedling in a gallon of wet soil when you don't have the feel for a youngster in a large container. That all comes in time and working with the same soil over and over to where it gets routine.
For me, I wet 1 gallon of soil down with about 40oz of microherd infused water, stick the sprout in there, keep it very warm like mid to high 80s, and don't give the first true watering for about 8-10 days. With bare root vertical germination I pretty much skip over the entire starter pot size period of the grow and jump straight into my vegging soil and container

I woulda gone straight from germination into those airpots but understand. I've been doing it for a long time and can avoid any kind of dampening off but it's also tricky to stick a seedling in a gallon of wet soil when you don't have the feel for a youngster in a large container. That all comes in time and working with the same soil over and over to where it gets routine.
For me, I wet 1 gallon of soil down with about 40oz of microherd infused water, stick the sprout in there, keep it very warm like mid to high 80s, and don't give the first true watering for about 8-10 days. With bare root vertical germination I pretty much skip over the entire starter pot size period of the grow and jump straight into my vegging soil and container
Vegging soil?

Now I gotta go look up microherd

My veg tent is ready if there is a better way I’m willing.

Vegging soil?

Now I gotta go look up microherd

My veg tent is ready if there is a better way I’m willing.

My vegging soil is either Roots 707 or Root Greenfields. They're way richer than a starter soil and just on the brink of being hot but not hot enough to torch a sprout and they're very light & fats draining just like a starter mix.
Roots Original is good too but I like hotter soils with more baseline nutrients to feed those first couple weeks. Around the 4th set of nodes is when I offer a feeding to start pushing them.
Lush is likely too hot for a sprout but would probably be fine cut 50/50 with a mild starter mix.

Yep microherds = your favorite inoculate like great white and all the others out there

Do you have a punch down tool for the panels? If so you got what you need the rest is just experience
yessir. i bought the punchdown tool when i bought the crimper. still haven't settled on a specific patch panel, though. hell, not even 100% settled on how i have my rack set up, tbh.

gotta settle where i want the POE switch, edge router, and home lab switch in the rack before deciding what patch panel i'm gonna go with simply because my rack is tiny in comparison to typical racks, and it's fully enclosed so punching down will have to happen then mounting in the rack. some day i'll get a real rack, but for now the little guy will just have to suffice.

CAT5 is all I know. Coax. BNC. RJ45 & RJ11. Old stuff. Haven’t been bleeding edge a while now.

Got me interested what’s different now. 🤣

Got a punch tool and panel in my office closet. Few holes too. 🤣

CAT6 isn't much different than CAT5 aside from being able to transmit data at a higher rate over a slightly longer distance. everything else is the same, though. still four twisted pairs making up the wire, going into the same kind of RJ45 connector.

really the only reason one needs CAT6 is if they have a gigabit switch that is capable of taking advantage of the added capacity. At my current spot, I have a gigabit internet connection, so my switches, edge router, and modem all are capable of the higher speed. At the new spot, I'm gonna be limited to 50Mbps as the best the providers can offer, so will basically be going back to the stone age. The network in the house is gonna be blazing fast though lol

CAT6 isn't much different than CAT5 aside from being able to transmit data at a higher rate over a slightly longer distance. everything else is the same, though. still four twisted pairs making up the wire, going into the same kind of RJ45 connector.

really the only reason one needs CAT6 is if they have a gigabit switch that is capable of taking advantage of the added capacity. At my current spot, I have a gigabit internet connection, so my switches, edge router, and modem all are capable of the higher speed. At the new spot, I'm gonna be limited to 50Mbps as the best the providers can offer, so will basically be going back to the stone age. The network in the house is gonna be blazing fast though lol
Ah. Cool. I was guessing extra/special shielding. What’s giving the boost of no extra wires? Thicker? Different material in the wire?

I’ve used Bell wire, fam worked there, to make patch cords. Good enough for a LAN party with a couple of switches. 🤣

Wireless didn’t come out until years later.

Ah. Cool. I was guessing extra/special shielding. What’s giving the boost of no extra wires? Thicker? Different material in the wire?

I’ve used Bell wire, fam worked there, to make patch cords. Good enough for a LAN party with a couple of switches. 🤣

Wireless didn’t come out until years later.
Stuff I used recently had a foil wrap and a plastic isolator strand woven in with the pairs that needs to be trimmed but that was it. As I understand the speed rating is basically determined by signal integrity over distance, the twists in the pairs help keep the signal from bleeding off so to speak, the added construction in Cat6 furthers this.

Back
Top Bottom