All things shrooms

It's a lot cheaper than growing cannabis.

You can get spore syringes for $20-30, everything else you need is cheap/diy. Imo.

Don't need to start off with a laminar hood, just some diy stuff from the store. A pressure cooker if you want to pasteurize your own stuff, or buy some substrate already cleaned.

If broke kids can grow it under the bed, think what you could do with under $100 😂
I just used an upside down bin/tote lol

It's a lot cheaper than growing cannabis.

You can get spore syringes for $20-30, everything else you need is cheap/diy. Imo.

Don't need to start off with a laminar hood, just some diy stuff from the store. A pressure cooker if you want to pasteurize your own stuff, or buy some substrate already cleaned.

If broke kids can grow it under the bed, think what you could do with under $100 😂
I'm an example of this lol

Oh shit man, 😳
I wouldve loved some of them shroomies 🍄🤤
I gotta try growing some soon.
I’ll let you know how it goes when Aqua hooks me up. If I can do anyone can. (Aqua is doing all the heavy lifting. I just need to NOT screw up the end.)

I have a couple of clear 20L totes for the base and one big one as a hood to work in. Still looking/watching for nice clean directions to drill holes and cover.

Want it to look good and last as well as be functional. DIY+ so to speak.

I’ll let you know how it goes when Aqua hooks me up. If I can do anyone can. (Aqua is doing all the heavy lifting. I just need to NOT screw up the end.)

I have a couple of clear 20L totes for the base and one big one as a hood to work in. Still looking/watching for nice clean directions to drill holes and cover.

Want it to look good and last as well as be functional. DIY+ so to speak.
Couple options for holes.

One, heat up a metal coffee can till red hot and press it through the plastic. Don't recommend this method but many use it.

Two, get a big hole saw, and run it in reverse. You run it in reverse because if you run it normally the teeth can get caught and shatter the plastic.

Couple options for holes.

One, heat up a metal coffee can till red hot and press it through the plastic. Don't recommend this method but many use it.

Two, get a big hole saw, and run it in reverse. You run it in reverse because if you run it normally the teeth can get caught and shatter the plastic.
The not cracking plastic struggle is very real lol. Yes I fucked up my first box, cracked it up. On the second one I kept the drill at its highest speed (forward) and barley pushed at the plastic letting the teeth do all the work. Got 6 holes in this way.

In hindsight this was still risky, but I got the hang of how to do it that way now. I should have done it in reverse I see now.

So is this what I think it is? 🤞 please tell me yes!! I'm on the edge of my seatPXL_20230812_140735664.jpg

The not cracking plastic struggle is very real lol. Yes I fucked up my first box, cracked it up. On the second one I kept the drill at its highest speed (forward) and barley pushed at the plastic letting the teeth do all the work. Got 6 holes in this way.

In hindsight this was still risky, but I got the hang of how to do it that way now. I should have done it in reverse I see now.

So is this what I think it is? 🤞 please tell me yes!! I'm on the edge of my seatView attachment 17312
yep, those be pins!

Alright, I have a few agar plates that I inoculated with pan cyan MS between 11 and 14 days ago showing no signs of germination. So, I'm gonna make up another batch of plates and try something a little different from normal. My normal recipe is:

500ml H2O
9g agar
9g malt extract
1g nutritional yeast (sometimes -- this shit is fickle to deal with and requires making a broth before mixing the agar and malt into it as to avoid flakes in the plates)

So, this time I'm going to do:

500ml H2O
9g agar
9g malt extract
5g manure

Will be interesting to see how the germination changes. As a control, I will be making some cubensis plates as well. Maybe the APE will actually get a little more aggressive. The pan bisporus has no problem on the traditional MEA but APE takes forever it seems, and the other cubensis i have simply hasn't germinated either which may be attributable to the spores simply being too old.

Will follow up with an update.

stop misting the substrate directly, only the sides as needed to maintain humidity. in 7ish days you'll have ready-to-harvest fruit bodies.
They haven't done much since Sunday.

Do you think my air flow isn't sufficient? Have 6 2" holes with polyfill.
I thought I could get a first flush before having to rewet perlite layer. Haven't opened it up to mist or anything as I still see moisture on walls of tote.
I've got a few more pins showing but wonder if it's going slow or just me being anxious.

Don't know if I should open top for a bit to get air in and/or mist walls of tub.

They haven't done much since Sunday.

Do you think my air flow isn't sufficient? Have 6 2" holes with polyfill.
I thought I could get a first flush before having to rewet perlite layer. Haven't opened it up to mist or anything as I still see moisture on walls of tote.
I've got a few more pins showing but wonder if it's going slow or just me being anxious.

Don't know if I should open top for a bit to get air in and/or mist walls of tub.
you should be fanning it at least two to three times a day. even though you have the holes you still need to force solid air exchange

you should be fanning it at least two to three times a day. even though you have the holes you still need to force solid air exchange
Do I need to do this in a clean room? Sorry for newb questions..

Like leave it open for just a few minutes right?

Last edited:
Do I need to do this in a clean room? Sorry for newb questions..

Like leave it open for just a few minutes right?
nah, you just want to use the lid to fan the inside of the container for like a minute a few times a day. you want to get actual air movement in there to try and purge the CO2 whereas just opening it up won't do much of anything. you don't need to worry about contamination for now as the substrate is fully colonized.

nah, you just want to use the lid to fan the inside of the container for like a minute a few times a day. you want to get actual air movement in there to try and purge the CO2 whereas just opening it up won't do much of anything. you don't need to worry about contamination for now as the substrate is fully colonized.
Thank you for explaining!

First jar grain to grain transfer

Shook it the fuck up last night, little bits of mycellium growing all over the place.

Attachments

• VID_20230817_010949375.mp4
    20.1 MB
  • 169225279549536408751640130405.jpg
    169225279549536408751640130405.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Did a second jar grain transfer

Should I take this cake and put it in a little bin with coco?
no, i'd use that for another jar of grain/rice/what-have-you. while coco is fairly impervious to contamination such a small amount of spawn is going to take way too long to colonize and produce something.

i made this 7 day lapse video from stills from once i put the bag into the tub. I should have let it fully colonize.. now i know, i def will next time.
Still ecstatic that it all worked out!
That Mario track was one that was part of one of the big Nintendo data breaches a while back, Gigaleak. They found the original soundtracks used during the production of SNES Mario World.
Eating some of these and playing that SNES classic sounds like a good combo... lol
View attachment Slideshow.mp4

Lossless download (flac) of the song, will blow your mind compared to the compressed youtube version on some HiFi gear.

Imo it's easier to buy sterilized grain bags online. A couple places have really good pricing. I have a pc, laminar flow hood and 50lb of milo and it's a pain in the ass to make them. Time consuming, takes at least a full day to make 8 bags

Imo it's easier to buy sterilized grain bags online. A couple places have really good pricing. I have a pc, laminar flow hood and 50lb of milo and it's a pain in the ass to make them. Time consuming, takes at least a full day to make 8 bags
that's the biggest problem my buddy is running into. he's having to generate over 100lbs of spawn and substrate bags a week just to try and keep up with the demand of the farmers market he currently sells at. the overhead of buying vs producing might level out in terms of time savings.

Now I'm just confused lol

Dark blue, but now covered in solid white.

And that little cup looked contaminated but again same thing, dark blue and solid white covering it.

Attachments

• 16923889998972209647193468474785.jpg
    16923889998972209647193468474785.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1692389074863436304127011657400.jpg
    1692389074863436304127011657400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Deleted by Observer
Show…
I think it finally got infected but got one thing that doesn't smell bad so far

Otherwise, Im moving soon and I'll get setup more proper and try again in a cleaner environment

bruising can happen when the mycelium is handled in any way. Sometimes air can trigger it, sometimes cutting a chunk. If it went back to white healthy growth, I wouldn't write it off as all lost. I've seen older cultures go blue just because of age, even.

bruising can happen when the mycelium is handled in any way. Sometimes air can trigger it, sometimes cutting a chunk. If it went back to white healthy growth, I wouldn't write it off as all lost. I've seen older cultures go blue just because of age, even.
ok i wasnt sure if it was something like that or not.

thanks

i got some in a jar growing.

make sense, kept it for a bit and seemed it started to outgrow its food source.

ok i wasnt sure if it was something like that or not.

thanks

i got some in a jar growing.

make sense, kept it for a bit and seemed it started to outgrow its food source.
yeah, it'll do that. then it'll bruise and eventually just outright dry up.

Back
Top Bottom