Grump's Power Plant Grow.

Everything I see on the strain info wise says it's a sativa leaner from South Africa...that's about it. Wonder if it wants that tropical environment? Little warmer and more humid? Idk just stoned and thinking.
So digging a little deeper, it's from SOUTH AFRICA. Hot and dry. So maybe with it's Idica parent considered, hot and dryish (50%?) would make since.
Screenshot_20231130_214325_Chrome.pngScreenshot_20231130_214245_Google.jpg

If you could gradually increase it that'd be what I'd do...go up 2 or 3 degrees for a few days and see

I had slow vegging plants I finally said screw it and turned everything up on it some and they'd take off...I'd be just shy of the sweet spot I think.

Shouldn't hurt either way...they're pretty adaptive plants.

I've read that plants metabolize (idk if that's the proper term) better in the 80s...I just imagine how I work a bit slower in the cold vs in my ideal temp...

So digging a little deeper, it's from SOUTH AFRICA. Hot and dry. So maybe with it's Idica parent considered, hot and dryish (50%?) would make since.
View attachment 32038View attachment 32039
I’ve grown Durban poison that looked like this. Makes sense.

Like I’ve been saying from seeding, this is going to be a tall plant fo sho.

I enjoy filling a tent if I can get better yield, those Dutch Passion guys had a few strains that are known. Running 82-85 degrees with proper VPD correction as to Rh and breeze aplenty. Just my two cents guys. SSgrower Hey Moe!

So it looks like it's still got some of the same issue. I mixed up a batch of silica to prepare for a nute change, if necessary. The roots have really taken off this week, so maybe she'll turn around soon.
Leaf Temp: 77-79°
Humidity: 55-56%
Water Temp: 70-71°
PH: 5.8 steady
EC: 570 (500 scale)
In the res:
- 100ppm Agsil16
- 100ppm epsom
- 3 parts Calmag
- 3 parts Green
- 2 parts Purple
- 1 part Pink
- plenty of Orca
20231202_115323.jpg20231202_115332.jpg20231202_115349.jpg

EC: 570 (500 scale
That 570 number seems way too hot to me.

I took a closer look on big screen. If this were me, I would cull that broad and start over. That plant has been stressed to my eye, looks to me to be halfway+ on the path to throwing 3 leaflet fans, which has always meant to me that the plant is stressed, unless this is a trait of the strain.

Surprised to also see that she is alternating nodes, imo, way too early, maybe not by the calendar, but she is showing signs of maturity way too soon. I could be way off base here but that is my gut feeling.

I agree with smoke, write it off as a learning experience and move on.

Last edited:

I took a closer look on big screen. If this were me, I would cull that broad and start over. That plant has been stressed to my eye, looks to me to be halfway+ on the path to throwing 3 leaflet fans, which has always meant to me that the plant is stressed, unless this is a trait of the strain.

Surprised to also see that she is alternating nodes, imo, way too early, maybe not by the calendar, but she is showing signs of maturity way too soon. I could be way off base here but that is my gut feeling.

570 was after the added dose of epsom. It was 420 before that amendment and the top-off res is at 420. It's slowly diluting itself back down as she's finally shooting roots and noticeably drinking every day. 550 this morning.

I've come off of shift work and our plant has an outage for 2 weeks, so we won't be going back online until after that, at least. I should have a bit more energy to tend to her needs so I'd really like to see this one through. I'd hate to cull her now, especially after the root growth has really sped up. She seems to be making up some ground there, so I'm hopeful for some signs of improvement soon.

570 was after the added dose of epsom. It was 420 before that amendment and the top-off res is at 420.
Will be watching this for sure bro, best of luck!

I'd ask the experts to correct me if I am wrong here, but the way I understand it, it doesn't really matter what caused the rise in ppm, ie, epsom. That still contributes to your overall number, the same way it works when you use tap water instead of RO, or like myself, where my RO tank is getting contaminated some how. The only difference is you know what that 150 ppm is.

This is part of the reason hydro guys use RO water, start with the lowest ppm possible because every single ppm counts against you in your final number. I remember first hearing this and thought it was erroneous, of course I know it all right? lol. Learned real quick, yea that number counts against you. We are on a well, ppm 8-900 out of the ground. It was a big fail for me to try using this water untreated. I can't explain the science behind it, but I do know it's true.

Just some food for thought here bro and take it from a newbie hydro guy like myself, with a grain of caution, lots to learn.

Last edited:

I’ve seen my clones do that. Three leaves or three and a little thumb and she’s weeks recovering from a stress.

570 was after the added dose of epsom. It was 420 before that amendment and the top-off res is at 420. It's slowly diluting itself back down as she's finally shooting roots and noticeably drinking every day. 550 this morning.

I've come off of shift work and our plant has an outage for 2 weeks, so we won't be going back online until after that, at least. I should have a bit more energy to tend to her needs so I'd really like to see this one through. I'd hate to cull her now, especially after the root growth has really sped up. She seems to be making up some ground there, so I'm hopeful for some signs of improvement soon.
I get it. I have trouble tossing too. Plus it’s a challenge and learning experience. Just going to take a lot longer.

Mine had this problem just before I joined here in April. GNick got me through it then I got the boot.

Will be watching this for sure bro, bet of luck!

I'd ask the experts to correct me if I am wrong here, but the way I understand it, it doesn't really matter what caused the rise in ppm, ie, epsom. That still contributes to your overall number, the same way it works when you use tap water instead of RO, or like myself, where my RO tank is getting contaminated some how. The only difference is you know what that 150 ppm is.

This is part of the reason hydro guys use RO water, start with the lowest ppm possible because every single ppm counts against you in your final number. I remember first hearing this and thought it was erroneous, of course I know it all right? lol. Learned real quick, yea that number counts against you. We are on a well, ppm 8-900 out of the ground. It was a big fail for me to try using this water untreated. I can't explain the science behind it, but I do know it's true.

Just some food for thought here bro and take it from a newbie hydro guy like myself, with a grain of caution, lots to learn.
I'm following ya. I start with 0ppm and could tell you how many ppm per nutrient are in my res, including the UP and DOWN. My last plant showed these symptoms and an epsom dose took care of it. That plant was more established at the time, though. This plant took forever to really start growing and hasn't stopped looking like this. It's taproot showed up in a few days and it wasn't until maybe a week ago that I started getting roots out of the side. These new roots look great and are branching out well. I'm thinking things are gonna start moving a little quicker, good or bad.

I can understand wanting to give it the chop if you're on a time crunch, but I've got nothing but time. I can handle an extra month or so in veg trying to rope her in. Experience is more important than yield at this point, for me. I can't help but think that when she makes her comeback, it'll be glorious.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on the secodary shoots coming from the lower nodes. As of yet, they look alright. I'm hoping, with the recent boost in root growth, she's going to work out the issue. All primary leaves are still showing the same potential deficiency so if the secondary shoots start to fade, she's getting the chop. She's been drinking and eating good and the tent is starting to smell green so I've got high hopes. I'll throw up some pictures tonight.

If she gets the chop, I've got a few crosses in mind for the next go.

-Raspberry Parfait X Purple Panty Dropper
-Strawnana X Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
-All Gas OG X Gelato

All were on the $2 menu at NASC and were part of Humboldt's phenohunter line. They sound delicious. Which would you choose? I'm leaning towards the RPxPPD.

Last edited:
I'm going to be keeping an eye on the secodary shoots coming from the lower nodes. As of yet, they look alright. I'm hoping, with the recent boost in root growth, she's going to work out the issue. All primary leaves are still showing the same potential deficiency so if the secondary shoots start to fade, she's getting the chop. She's been drinking and eating good and the tent is starting to smell green so I've got high hopes. I'll throw up some pictures tonight.

If she gets the chop, I've got a few crosses in mind for the next go.

-Raspberry Parfait X Purple Panty Dropper
-Strawnana X Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
-All Gas OG X Gelato

All were on the $2 menu at NASC and were part of Humboldt's phenohunter line. Both sound delicious. Which would you choose? I'm leaning towards the RPxPPD.
Hope it works out. Sounds like things have improved. New seeds sound good too.

Hope it works out. Sounds like things have improved. New seeds sound good too.
Yeah. I should be flipping it by now but she looks like a 3 week old plant. "Hydro is faster" doesn't compute on this grow. I'm not sure what I did to stunt the root growth, but it's taken forever to start showing any actual progress. I'm stubborn so I haven't culled it yet, and now, with the roots taking off, part of me is wanting to see it through. There's been so much wasted time on this round that if I don't see some relatively immediate improvement, she's getting the axe.

I’ve only pulled males and one fugly plant. I learned a lot. Same with my outdoor grow. But I have time.

Just wish we had more than a 4 plant limit. Hard to grow and experiment.

SCROG let me bank a few ounces so I can take more time or fail without suffering. 🤣

So it looks like it's still got some of the same issue. I mixed up a batch of silica to prepare for a nute change, if necessary. The roots have really taken off this week, so maybe she'll turn around soon.
Leaf Temp: 77-79°
Humidity: 55-56%
Water Temp: 70-71°
PH: 5.8 steady
EC: 570 (500 scale)
In the res:
- 100ppm Agsil16
- 100ppm epsom
- 3 parts Calmag
- 3 parts Green
- 2 parts Purple
- 1 part Pink
- plenty of Orca
if i may, my 2 cents.

what is youre ambient temp?

i think 80-82 F LST will be better, along with 5.6 pH.

if you're ec is not dropping, she is not uptaking.

Will be watching this for sure bro, best of luck!

even more important when youre doing hydro/media-dependent, cant really fuck around with E.C points in ROCKWOOL, my tap is fucking that all up and gotta battle my tap for E.C points

if i may, my 2 cents.

what is youre ambient temp?

i think 80-82 F LST will be better, along with 5.6 pH.

if you're ec is not dropping, she is not uptaking.
Ambient temp is 80. Leaf temp varies 77-79. 5.8 ph steady for 3 weeks now. 60% rh.

I top-off with the same ppm so I don't think that holds true for me. What it takes in gets replenished.

If you haven't calibrated your sensors recently may be good to double check.
I calibrate one set of probes every two weeks or so. Top-off res is blinking and due for calibration as of yesterday.

Last edited:
Ambient temp is 80. Leaf temp varies 77-79. 5.8 ph steady for 3 weeks now. 60% rh.

I top-off with the same ppm so I don't think that holds true for me. What it takes in gets replenished.

I calibrate one set of probes every two weeks or so. Top-off res is blinking and due for calibration as of yesterday.
Put both your blue lab into your system to check them against each other.

My auto doser is different than my monitor by as much as .3 to .5

Put both your blue lab into your system to check them against each other.

My auto doser is different than my monitor by as much as .3 to .5
I did this at the beginning of the grow and they only showed a .1 difference in pH and no difference in EC. I've got a 5 day weekend starting tomorrow. I'll calibrate both and cross-reference with each other.

Ok no hydro guy but res changes make a difference superior to top offs as I see it.
Lets make up numbers for my example.
You start at 500 and find yourself after at 400.
So you top off to get back to 500.
You don't know what 100 that came out of the 500 was and you replaced it with your original ratio, but you do not know that your res previously at 400 had proper ratios or if the plant was eating only 1 thing in majority.
Top off after top off your ratios are no longer proper or at least there is no way to know.
Changing the res with all new nutes allows you know your ratios are as you set them.
Your plant has issues regardless of readings that scream it is starving to death the way I see it?
Think about weekly or bi-weekly resets?
Hear what others say about my jibberish first, but this is what I would be doing.

Ok no hydro guy but res changes make a difference superior to top offs as I see it.
You don't know what 100 that came out of the 500 was and you replaced it with your original ratio, but you do not know that your res previously at 400 had proper ratios or if the plant was eating only 1 thing in majority.
Top off after top off your ratios are no longer proper or at least there is no way to know.
Changing the res with all new nutes allows you know your ratios are as you set them.
Your plant has issues regardless of readings that scream it is starving to death the way I see it?
Hear what others say about my jibberish first, but this is what I would be doing.
This is the 4th res for this plant. Last change we thought would correct it but she keeps showing the same signs. Moe thought she was cannibalizing herself so we upped the ppm. Same problem so I dosed with epsom. Problem still persists. Maybe I'll do another res change this weekend and up the ppm again. No tip burn so maybe she can handle quite a bit more than my last plant?

This is the 4th res for this plant. Last change we thought would correct it but she keeps showing the same signs. Moe thought she was cannibalizing herself so we upped the ppm. Same problem so I dosed with epsom. Problem still persists. Maybe I'll do another res change this weekend and up the ppm again. No tip burn so maybe she can handle quite a bit more than my last plant?
see how see looks in a few days

Exactly how it works in my room

My 4 plants stopped eating 2 days ago. Yesterday they got a water change to "reset". 120ppms of nutrients added to the base. I expect these 4 plants to eat a good part of that 120 today.

Here she is this morning. You can see, compared to the last pics, the roots are really starting to come in. The leaves come in looking good, then fade like this.
20231208_085646.jpg
These are the lower shoots that I'm watching. If they start to fade as well, she's done.
20231208_085652.jpg
Roots looking great.
20231208_085708.jpg
Plant's getting tall.
20231208_085659.jpg

. . . . . . . .

I'll be doing a res change this afternoon to reset the ratios. The plan is a 3 : 3 : 2 : .5 ratio of CalMag : Green : Purple : Pink with 1ml/gal of Fulvic and Orca. Agsil16 for the base. 50ppm Epsom. I'd like to end around 600ppm. I'll give her two weeks to show some improvement, otherwise I'm popping some new beans. I've considered going back to the Jungle Cake x Wedding tree. I had a lot of success and very little problems last round. Maybe I could replicate that grow with an improved yield. It was delicious smoke, no doubt.

I am still in Coco, affording the true Hydro system is still out of my reach. For now the simple 3 gal. coco & perlite has me around 3/4 1 lb. a light. I want to master this style before I tackle true hydro like a lot of you guys. Fun learning at 64 at any rate or style. SSgrower Thanks for the tips

Back
Top Bottom