Cult Classic Mellow Fellow in RDWC - Bud Builders

SweetLeafGrow

Student of Hydroponics
Staff member
Hydroponics Helper
Reaction score
RDWC Grow of Mellow Fellow by Cult Classic Seeds

So, everything here is in flower, time to get another round going while keeping within the stupid plant counts. This one is going in the 3 x 3 as soon as the Apples and Bananas finishes in 4-5 weeks. I've got an idea that I am going to implement, seen a few others doing this, definitely not my idea but it works!

I've got some 2 gallon buckets, going to get some black spray paint and paint one of them, put a 3.75" net pot in the lid and make myself a Binky Bucket hydro nursery type system for young seedlings. A small hole in the side for an air line, with an air stone in the bottom and this gets me a small hydro system perfect for seedlings. This gets me a starter plant to go immediately in the 3x3 as soon as things there finish up and will speed the next round up considerably.

After much thought and consideration, I've decided to go with the strain Mellow Fellow by Cult Classic Seeds. Thanks to @CannaGranny for helping me decide when we were talking about her experiences with a strain called Cement Shoes. I could not find Cement Shoes but I recalled I had something with that strain as a parent so I dug out my seeds and sure enough, found the Mellow Fellow, who's father is Cement Shoes and the mother would be Marshmallow OG, an elite strain by Compound Genetics, the same breeders that put out the Apples and Bananas and the Grape Gas, among others. I'm thinking this will be a hard hitting medicinal strain that will be good to have in my medicine.

I'm germinating using the floating method I recently read about here at Bud Builders. 50/50 water and 3% H2O2, will see how this little seed does. I still have to make my Binky Bucket but will post pics of that once I get it built and the seeding in place.

img_3188-jpeg.16715

Got my Binky Bucket all built and this seed sprouted. Got her in the basket and waiting for green surface breakage.

The plan is to use this as a mini hydro system to get a seedling going that will go in the 3x3 after the Apples and Bananas finishes in 3-4 weeks time. This should give this next grow a good head start into veg and do it all over again. Hoping for some awesome medicine from this strain!IMG_3237.jpeg

Nice! I found a humidity dome works good w developing seedlings and clones in the bucket since all the rh you need and then some comes up through the netcup and self-humidifies. I've got some large domes with vents on top, if you want I can send you one to try.

I've got some large domes with vents on top, if you want I can send you one to try.
Thank you for the great offer bro! I do have one of these and I have used them in the past. I might have jumped the gun a bit getting the sprout in the system already but I guess I will see how the sprout does initially. I can move it over to the dome tray if needed.

What would be cool is if I could find a round dome that would fit over this bucket for the first few days after sprout. I think it's probably a good idea to do this especially since I do not have a tent for this nursery bucket so I'll be winging it with the environment for a bit, thanks for reminding me!

Those look perfect. I probably would take one of those! I thought you meant one of those trays with a dome that comes with it.

What does it measure across? These buckets I have are 2 gallon and I can measure after I get me some coffee in me.

These will work perfectly, thank you so much for the cool offer, I accept 👊

Love to have a link where you found these, I might just order some. I'm thinking about getting another one of these binky buckets going in the future.

These will work perfectly, thank you so much for the cool offer, I accept 👊

Love to have a link where you found these, I might just order some. I'm thinking about getting another one of these binky buckets going in the future.
Ok I'll see if I can find a link for you. I have no problem sending one out if you want to use it a bit 1st. Let me know brotha.

ETA-
6-Pack! GrowAway Small Reusable Plastic Mini Greenhouse, Garden Cloche Dome, Plant Covers Frost Guard Freeze Protection for Plants Outdoors, Garden Tools, Garden Accessories - 7.87" Diam. x 6.69" H https://a.co/d/gj40dtH

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, yea, those are a really cool find, they will work great on the Binky Buckets.

By the way, got a sprout breaking the surface so well on the way here! The first one died on me right after it sprouted but started another and it's doing much better.IMG_3259.jpegIMG_3258.jpeg

So the Binky Bucket seems to be working pretty good. No roots out of the bottom yet but I expect them in the next couple of days or so. Got the light dialed in at 200 PPFD at the height of the plant, doesn't seem to be stretching like seedlings tend to do if they do not have enough light.

So far, so good.IMG_3273.jpeg

I'm germinating using the floating method I recently read about here at Bud Builders. 50/50 water and 3% H2O2, will see how this little seed does.

What floating method yall talking about lol?

Attachments

• VID_20230819_205255861.mp4
    11.5 MB
  • 16924963997054830157078603734282.jpg
    16924963997054830157078603734282.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 0
I can’t remember where I saw it, but it was on another post here on the board. I tried it with the first seed, and it did not work out well I went back to the paper towel and had much better success.

I am out of town right now, but Mrs. sweetleaf has it been doing a great job taking care of our plants, took some pictures of the Mellow Fellow seedling in the Binky Bucket. Got a long taproot going on there and slowly putting on mass up top. Once I get home, I’m going to get that system ready and get this young lady put it in it.

71467802386__F4166406-E4B1-46AB-9167-1CCC8ADF0216.jpeg71467806827__8A7BC697-72C2-4332-9405-107518EFB980.jpeg71467809525__033F9491-B835-4531-A3F4-2D66E6141F4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Almost a week since last update, the Apples and Bananas is in jars and I got this tent cleaned out and put the old PAH system back together for the Mellow Fellow run. The Binky Bucket served well as a nursery but it may be an issue with water temps if I have to stay in these for very long. We're gonna find out with the Imperium X which is doing well so far. This Mellow Fellow gal had some undesirable brown on the roots when I pulled her from the BB. I took a cup full of RO and a squirt of enzymes and hydroguard in that water and then soaked the roots in that for 10 minutes before I put her in this pre-prepared system, 5.8 pH and ppm at 300 1:1:1:1 GH Trio and Calmag. I also prepped the res with AgSil 16.IMG_3387.jpegIMG_3388.jpeg

Looks good, I'm sure it will be fine.

The white on top of the cube - is that micos or maybe dried salts? If that is salts, I would be curious as to what you think caused that? If fungi - carry on!
My first three did the same thing. Not quite to that extent. I put a ml or two of GH RapidStart in RO I soaked them in.

Looks good, I'm sure it will be fine.

The white on top of the cube - is that micos or maybe dried salts? If that is salts, I would be curious as to what you think caused that? If fungi - carry on!
I was not too concerned about it, assumed it was dried salts caused by the top of the rapid rooter drying out a bit. Just a guess but never thought it might be some form of fungi and I never bought a microscope yet.

Not a lot to report on this grow other than things are progressing nicely. Started the res out at 300 ppm but once I had touch down with roots in the water, that pH started to dive. Brought the ppms down gradually through dilution of the res, finally stabilized at 206 ppm and pH has been stable finally. Will be monitoring the water to see when she starts to change to a more robust growth stage and needing more nutes.

She is a short and squat strain for sure, going to be a fun one and thinking I won't have to worry too much about stretch with this one.

IMG_3426.jpeg

Started the res out at 300 ppm but once I had touch down with roots in the water, that pH started to dive. Brought the ppms down gradually through dilution of the res, finally stabilized at 206 ppm and pH has been stable finally.
Interesting when you lower the ppms by 100 ppm it stabilizes the PH.

At 206 have you noticed the ppm falling (eating) ?

Back
Top Bottom