Grump's Power Plant Grow.

Yeah there is a real art to doing this correctly. Timing, nutrient changes, environmental changes etc. or else you create problems. Its definitely an advanced technique that needs very closely monitored and understood before attempting
😎

i got a run coming up that will use this Teq.

moving on to rockwool for now @Aqua Man

Last edited:
Yeah there is a real art to doing this correctly. Timing, nutrient changes, environmental changes etc. or else you create problems. Its definitely an advanced technique that needs very closely monitored and understood before attempting
Oh I created some problems alright! I watched a damn YouTube video and thought, hellll yeah.. imma do it!
My Husband that knows zilch about growing and desires to know even less than he does about it, looks in..his words were ”whatttttt did you do those plants?”.
My retort and a pretty hot one at that..” I fecked em allll up, okay?” We still laugh about that. My beautiful ladies looked look a bunch of naked chickens. 🐓 🍗

Oh I created some problems alright! I watched a damn YouTube video and thought, hellll yeah.. imma do it!
My Husband that knows zilch about growing and desires to know even less than he does about it, looks in..his words were ”whatttttt did you do those plants?”.
My retort and a pretty hot one at that..” I fecked em allll up, okay?” We still laugh about that. My beautiful ladies looked look a bunch of naked chickens. 🐓 🍗
that's the perfect way of describing a heavy defoliation. nekked chimkins :ROFLMAO:

My retort and a pretty hot one at that..” I fecked em allll up, okay?” We still laugh about that. My beautiful ladies looked look a bunch of naked chickens.
I hear ya'! As much as I wanna try I know once I'm done I'm gonna say to myself...

9604ea3182289cf50949ba464b6833b0.jpeg

I did a resevoir change yesterday with a 3/2/1/2 ml/gal ratio of Green/Purple/Pink/CalMag.

Right now it's sitting at 5.7ph 320tds. Tent's temps are stable at 79-80 with a 60-61% humidity. I backed the light down to 10% at about 3 feet above the lid.

Poor little plant is looking pretty rough but the newest set of leaves has a much better green to them. The plant will probably abort the rest eventually. The lowest set is nearly completely yellow now and starting to shrivel. Fingers crossed for it after this nute change.

I was planning on topping it soon but I think I'll wait til the 5th node this round. That'll give her a little more time to get her shit sorted out.

Here's the little ugly duckling...
20231014_185933.jpg

I did a resevoir change yesterday with a 3/2/1/2 ml/gal ratio of Green/Purple/Pink/CalMag.

Right now it's sitting at 5.7ph 320tds. Tent's temps are stable at 79-80 with a 60-61% humidity. I backed the light down to 10% at about 3 feet above the lid.

Poor little plant is looking pretty rough but the newest set of leaves has a much better green to them. The plant will probably abort the rest eventually. The lowest set is nearly completely yellow now and starting to shrivel. Fingers crossed for it after this nute change.

I was planning on topping it soon but I think I'll wait til the 5th node this round. That'll give her a little more time to get her shit sorted out.

View attachment 25819
She is gonna be pretty again in a week or 2 and you would never have known

View attachment 25819
Better watch out man. You're gonna have a tree on your hands in four weeks lol

I ain't scared to go dump another 20ml of Calmag in there. Little thing needs some Nitrogen for sure.
Im not saying to bring the calmag up. Im saying what i do and my starting solution always contains 3ml/gal maybe yours should be more maybe yours should be less.

Edit: pretty sure 5ml/gal is the number @SweetLeafGrow uses

5.5pH - logic = younger plant / pH can drift up, Micro-Nutes availability

View attachment 25819
looks like, new growth looks a little better

id keep around, 300-350 ppm, 5.5ph, whats the light at? may reduce slightly more to ease off her.

i could be wrong of course, just my thoughts.

5.5pH for micro-nutes availability and it can just drift up, also younger plant.

80f 70 rh?

5.5pH - logic = younger plant / pH can drift up, Micro-Nutes availability

looks like, new growth looks a little better
New growth definitely has some more green to it but she's still lookin kinda rough. I know the ugly leaves won't recover so I'm not terribly worried about them. The most recent pair of leaves looks a lot better. I'll snap a picture before I head to work.
id keep around, 300-350 ppm, 5.5ph, whats the light at? may reduce slightly more to ease off her.

i could be wrong of course, just my thoughts.
Water is sitting at 5.5 this morning with tds at 330. Running the 321 ratio now with 2ml/gal CalMag. Might need to up it on the next change. The light is at 10% 3 feet up.
5.5pH for micro-nutes availability and it can just drift up, also younger plant.

80f 70 rh?
Tent's at 77 which keeps my leaf temps at 76 or so. Running 62% humidity. I had it up around 68 but dropped it after the res change. I wanted her to start drinking a little more. There's plenty of roots in the water so I was hoping a bit lower humidity would forsce her to drink up the new batch of nutes.

Last edited:
Looks like your VPD is a little over 1.

With the plant eating it's early leaves, it makes me think the plant is not transpiring, has issues with the roots, or your res mix is off. I think you addressed the res, and bringing the RH down like you did will encourage more water movement thru the plant, leaves me with what's up with the roots? Everything good down there?

Looks like your VPD is a little over 1.

With the plant eating it's early leaves, it makes me think the plant is not transpiring, has issues with the roots, or your res mix is off. I think you addressed the res, and bringing the RH down like you did will encourage more water movement thru the plant, leaves me with what's up with the roots? Everything good down there?
All good as far as I can tell. I'll grab a picture here in a bit. She's recovering, I'd say. Those early leaves were doomed from the start. I'm assuming too little nitrogen?

My first batch of nutes this round was equal parts of the trio because that's what the label shows for seedlings. I fixed her up with Smoke's recommendation at a 321 ratio, which is what the label shows for aggressive vegetative growth. I also doubled the amount of CalMag. I think we're on the mend but I'll probably wait til the 5th or 6th node for a topping. Let her get back in stride before adding that stressor.

id aim for .4-.8 VPD
Last round I kept the VPD low like that because that's what all the charts said. It stalled her out and wasted probably a month of veg time. Aqua noticed the plant was pretty skimpy for the age and got me fixed up with where I'm out right now. He said F the charts. I listened. Plant took off 🤣

Last round I kept the VPD low like that because that's what all the charts said. It stalled her out and wasted probably a month of veg time. Aqua noticed the plant was pretty skimpy for the age and got me fixed up with where I'm out right now. He said F the charts. I listened. Plant took off 🤣
so higher vpd = more transpiration

1697668899097.png

i do not yet fully see how it all works together or as in for which scenario/grow context.

.4-.8 i suppose would be low transpiration for young plants, and then increase transpiration/through "vpd" as they get older/bigger and depending on how the plant is responding to the ENVironment/nutrient uptake (?)/ how one is pushing the plants idfk

i just run high heat high RH mainly for now lol, or i try to keep them within 10pts 80f/70rh (smaller container coco/highfreqfert)

Hey folks. The first seed from this round showed up this morning so I figured it's time to get a new journal going. This grow will be Power Plant by Dutch Passion, the original breeders of the strain. It's supposed to be a heavy yielder so, with my 3x3 SCROG screen, hopefully I'll wind up with a plentiful bounty after harvesting what will be my second grow ever. Let's kick this off.

Equipment:
SpiderFarmer 5x5 tent
SpiderFarmer SE5000 LED with controller
AC Infinity Controller 69 pro
6" AC Infinity Exhaust fan and Cabon Filter
6" AC Infinity inline fan for intake
2x AC Infinity UIS plugs for heater/humidifier.
14 gallon totes for plant and control resevoirs
30 gallon tote for top-off resevoir
2x BlueLab gaurdian monitors

Nutrients:
General Hydroponics Flora Trio and CalMag
Plant Success Orca Liquid Mycorrhizae
Mr Fulvic's Fulvic Acid

-------

Dropped a couple beans into some Gro Plugs Thursday evening and the first of the two made it's breakthrough sometime last night. I've got them in AC Infinity's Germination Kit with heatmat and Lights included. Once my current harvest is dried and out of the tent, I'll move in the better of two.
View attachment 21912View attachment 21913

Thanks for tuning in to my second grow EVER. Feel free to post your questions and comments. Despite my name, I'm not really all that grumpy.

✌️ & 💚 y'all
Nice.

@Moe.Red
New leaves looking alright. Roots as well. There's a little bit of browning on that one string of roots but I've been top-feeding with res water that's got 20ml/gal of Orca.
View attachment 26304View attachment 26305
hell yea looks much better

id just cut that fucked leaf off, or itll just fall off and pick it up later

can you take another picture more level with the canopy? few inches back?

@Moe.Red
New leaves looking alright. Roots as well. There's a little bit of browning on that one string of roots but I've been top-feeding with res water that's got 20ml/gal of Orca.
View attachment 26304View attachment 26305
Excellent pics. You are past the issue, carry on. Use the brown leaves as canaries and make sure they halt getting worse. You are not expecting recovery, but if the plant is otherwise happy it will stop cannibalizing itself. When you top it if they still look the same, take them off.

Can you remind me of the genetics? The root structure overall is small. I'm assuming from seed.

I'm a bit of a root snob, but this morphology of root growth is one of the reasons I switched to coco. I started with huge 10" netpots with hydroton, and after years I think little pots with coco is best. Big plants bust right thru the netpots.

Anyhow, the snob says that you want the roots to be coming out the sides of the netpots well before now. Tap roots do this thing where they just keep growing straight with minimal side branching until they encounter some resistance. You are going to have problems in a hydro system based on totes because the bottom of the pot is a foot away. So you have to get the branching morphology set when they are babies to get the best roots in hydro. I find that coco stays plenty wet just from the splashing of the waterfall, and provides more back pressure on the baby roots.

Another option is rock wool.

Or manipulate towards root growth with hormones like Auxin.

Stuff to think about for next grow anyhow.

Excellent pics. You are past the issue, carry on. Use the brown leaves as canaries and make sure they halt getting worse. You are not expecting recovery, but if the plant is otherwise happy it will stop cannibalizing itself. When you top it if they still look the same, take them off.

Can you remind me of the genetics? The root structure overall is small. I'm assuming from seed.
It's Power Plant by Dutch Passion. Unknown African sativas crossed with an unknown indica for "faster finishing". A supposed heavy yielder.
I'm a bit of a root snob, but this morphology of root growth is one of the reasons I switched to coco. I started with huge 10" netpots with hydroton, and after years I think little pots with coco is best. Big plants bust right thru the netpots.
I went with smaller netpots (4") and actually cut it up to make it easier for the roots to exit the cup. That may have been a mistake considering a lack of resistance. That taproot definitely shot out in a hurry.
Stuff to think about for next grow anyhow.
Always looking ahead 👊

VPD must take plant temps into account or it will be to low… i just used an educated guess for my suggestion in this case.

Also a 1.0 VPD will do well for a plant start to finish.

It's Power Plant by Dutch Passion. Unknown African sativas crossed with an unknown indica for "faster finishing". A supposed heavy yielder.
OK so could be anything. I'm going to bet it leans sativa based on the start. Do you have a UVA function on your light?

VPD must take plant temps into account or it will be to low… i just used an educated guess for my suggestion in this case.

Also a 1.0 VPD will do well for a plant start to finish.
Most people have trouble maintaining that. Poor Bandit down in TX deals with some real shit environment and still makes his plants look good.

Plants are like people. If you are otherwise healthy you can take a beating in one area. Outdoors the environment is way worse and people still grow beautiful bud. Just have to give the plant everything else it needs within your control.

Back
Top Bottom