GrumpAzz

Wingin' it
Staff member
Contest Guy
Reaction score
I started this journey at the beginning of the year. Planning took long enough that the idea went from a simple tent in the corner to a 5x5 with it's own little room. When it was all said and done, there's more room in the tent than out.
20230203_165953.jpg20230209_181921.jpg20230418_213638.jpg20230418_213646.jpg20230418_213652.jpg20230418_213701.jpg20230418_213705.jpg20230418_213812.jpg
View attachment 20230419_143159.mp4
I ordered several strains off the 2 dollar menu from NASC. Jungle Cake X Wedding Tree has been chosen as the lucky one to take me on this maiden voyage. I started a seed in a DVD case, upright in RO/DI water, on the 15th. On the 18th, we opened it up and checked.20230418_210409.jpg
I've prepped my GH nutrient solution and have gotten everything ready to plant. It was mixed into 30 gallons of RO. I will be transferring the seed straight to the hydroton in the plant resevoir.
20230419_145004.jpg

Armor-Si: 75mL
pH Down: 25 mL
CALi-MAGic: 40 mL
Micro: 30 mL
Bloom: 30 mL
Grow: 30 mL
Rapid Start: 20 mL
3 more gallons of 8.0 RO
pH Up: 5 mL
-Sat overnight
Have since added 7 mL of pH Down.

The lower system holds roughly 15 gallons.

I'll snap some pics when I get to the transplanting. Wish me luck, everyone.

Attachments

• 20230418_215325.jpg
    20230418_215325.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230205_093551.jpg
    20230205_093551.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230206_193313.jpg
    20230206_193313.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230418_182212.jpg
    20230418_182212.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
20230419_183243.jpg
Here she is tonight. I went ahead and threw her in. Hopefully her tail is long enough. It started to fork and fuzz so I proceeded. Top watered with resevoir water and turned the light down to 10%

Moe suggested covering my hydroton with something to block the light and I (maybe foolishly) didn't take his advice. I just couldn't come up with a quick and simple solution. I'm 30 minutes from anywhere. I burried her pretty deep and hopefully that will suffice. More seeds on deck if need be. At 2 bucks a pop, I just ran with it.

Last edited:
I top-fed this morning.
PH stepped up to 6.1 overnight. I added 2mL of Down to the res. I also added another layer of hydroton on top of what was there. Just a little added protection while I wait for these plant covers to arrive.

Looking good, like the exterior finished look.

When moe mentioned covering your net pots with something i believe he is referring to blocking the lite from hitting the water through the slots in the net pot, a towel or rag will work

Looking good, like the exterior finished look.

When moe mentioned covering your net pots with something i believe he is referring to blocking the lite from hitting the water through the slots in the net pot, a towel or rag will work
He had mentioned light hitting the roots but that makes since too.

I put some aluminum foil over it and cut a slit for her to grow up through but I was afraid of the sharper edges and decided against it.

He had mentioned light hitting the roots but that makes since too.

I put some aluminum foil over it and cut a slit for her to grow up through but I was afraid of the sharper edges and decided against it.
Fyi, I've read over the years not to use aluminum foil in the grow room, apparently it causes hot spots when the light reflects

I think I've got it figured...

I haven't messed with the top-off resevoir since I filled the lowers. I have since added Ph Down to the lower two, however. I'm thinking that when I fill a measuring cup to top feed, it drops it enough to let the top-off trickle down a higher Ph nute mix, adding ppms and upping the pH. Thoughts?

I'll check on it tonight and might mess with it some.

Edited to add: it has since remained at 6.0/330. I'll pay close attention tonight, when I top-feed again.

Last edited:
Tonight, I didn't really want to mix any more nutes in the top-off rez, so I just added 15 gallons of water. It's pH is sitting at 5.5 and it is currently holding 22.5 gallons with another ~15 gallons in the lower two.

I also added some bennies to the lower resevoirs. 1mL/gal of both Southern Ag's and Hygrozyme.

Unfortunately, I did this before testing my rising ppm and pH predicament. So, by adding roughly 1000 ml of diluted bennie solutions, the water level rose passed the floats limit. So when top-feeding tonight, the float never dropped enough for a trickle. The pH has been resting at 6.0 for most of the afternoon and evening so I think that's just where it wants to be. I'll be watching!

I planted the seed yesterday, the 19th, around 6:30pm. Any guesses as to when my first roots make an apperance? I'll put a dollar down for Sunday, the 23rd. Place your bets!

Tonight, I didn't really want to mix any more nutes in the top-off rez, so I just added 15 gallons of water. It's pH is sitting at 5.5 and it is currently holding 22.5 gallons with another ~15 gallons in the lower two.

I also added some bennies to the lower resevoirs. 1mL/gal of both Southern Ag's and Hygrozyme.

Unfortunately, I did this before testing my rising ppm and pH predicament. So, by adding roughly 1000 ml of diluted bennie solutions, the water level rose passed the floats limit. So when top-feeding tonight, the float never dropped enough for a trickle. The pH has been resting at 6.0 for most of the afternoon and evening so I think that's just where it wants to be. I'll be watching!

I planted the seed yesterday, the 19th, around 6:30pm. Any guesses as to when my first roots make an apperance? I'll put a dollar down for Sunday, the 23rd. Place your bets!
I’ll go Monday.

I’ll reread and see if I can add any help but seems like you got it figured out

Now that you have it fired up and circulating, what do you think of your system? Everything functioning more or less the way you had hoped so far?
I work with my hands for a living, so much of my positive attitude and outlook is fueled by the sense of pride that comes with finishing a little project that, in turn, functions properly. I'm sure Ill find some quirks along the way but, with the limited space I had to work with, I'm very pleased with the results. Being an electrician, there's just something really cool about seeing the pump, resevoirs and fallponics all come together. Plumbing is not at all my forte. Also, with all the time and thought put into it, to see it finally perform has been such a relief.

I’ll go Monday.

Thanks man. I'm in my first period of limbo and the waiting is killing me 🤣. I just couldn't be more excited right now. On one hand, I'm paranoid that I may have started too soon, and on the other, I just know she'll make an appearance and bless me with a fruitful harvest, given all the love she deserves.

Last edited:
Ppms were 320 last night, 320 this morning, and 330 when I got off work.

Wassup with that? Particulates from top-feeding the hydroton?

My lady at home top fed at 4pm.
Could be because the meter is just on the edge of ticking down to 310. Or the balance of npk is out of wack.

That is the reason i chose to use the 700 scale when i first started because its more accurate in reading the change.

So..
Today it was at 6.2 at noon and when I got home at 4, it was at 6.3. It's steadily on the rise, about 0.1 per day. Cause for concern?

I’ll go Monday.

Hold up on reading it all again(unless you want to). I'll make a quick list of everything that was added and the times i've checked on it.

Looking at it written down like this, it's pretty obvious to me that the Ph Up was not needed. The drift up would have been ideal.

Also, I didn't let the Armor-si sit overnight. GH instructions just gave their recommended dosage, next add fertilizers. Next batch I'll let it sit overnight, for sure.

Yeah I just posted some reading material on the question forum about using silica as a buffer. Putting the SI in first and giving it time are the right way to prepare the buffer. Then add in PH down and monosilic acid is formed. That is your plant ready for uptake benefit. Plus the ph buffering capacity.

Personally I might up the SI dose if it only took you to PH of 9. Should be higher, although I did not look up that product so it may come with some other chemistry they might have added. Using the dry stuff that's pure potassium silicate the ph should go up to mid 11s. And you let it sit there for a while running in the system before you add the ph down. That's on startup tho. If you are amending or fixing, just mix it up in a 5 gallon pail and let it sit. Don't dump in at full ph (dilute) because the PH swing is not good for your plants or the bennies.

The other stuff is spot on. We may adjust depending on what the plant gives us, but you will guarantee for now the needs are met.

I remember having this same conversation with SLG on his Mac run. First time using GH for him too. He's come a long way.

Ahhh, not what I thought it was.

I think there is a better choice. May I suggest

Agsil 16h

Agsil.png

Buy it where you want, but only get the pound, it will take you forever to use it all and it is hygroscopic.

I've used two different silica products and this AgSil 16 is by far the best I've used. I hardly ever have to add any after setting up the res initially. PH since I have been using this has beed very stable.

I will say that I recall that the last time I set my res up, I only got up to about pH 9 before I started building everything, I think I did 2 ml per gallon, I went with it.

Also, good to know about the waiting period after adding the AgSil. I have never done that other than letting things mix for a bit and settle. I'm also going to have to get that stuff diluted better before adding to the res. I've probably shocked them many times in light of what you said there Moe. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom