you're getting into the good ripeness now. maximizing yield and potency + solid mix of cannabinoids. When the trichome stalks start to get wiggly and eventually start curling over, that's about the perfect time imo. much longer and you'll start losing the weight you so patiently waited to gain.

you're getting into the good ripeness now. maximizing yield and potency + solid mix of cannabinoids. When the trichome stalks start to get wiggly and eventually start curling over, that's about the perfect time imo. much longer and you'll start losing the weight you so patiently waited to gain.
Nice tidbit of info there. Thanks.

I've been slowly backing off the lights and I've dropped the temps in the tent a little, also. I think it was @Pipecarver that mentioned bringing down the lights to ripen. She's pretty much stopped eating, it seems, so I've also slowly been dropping the ppms.

I'd like to harvest this weekend because I'll have a ton of work that'll come with that. If not, no worries. I should've been more proactive with the defoliation, but once I added that second screen, there was just so much out of reach. I grabbed a pair of 10" scissors for the next go.

Nice tidbit of info there. Thanks.

I've been slowly backing off the lights and I've dropped the temps in the tent a little, also. I think it was @Pipecarver that mentioned bringing down the lights to ripen. She's pretty much stopped eating, it seems, so I've also slowly been dropping the ppms.

I'd like to harvest this weekend because I'll have a ton of work that'll come with that. If not, no worries. I should've been more proactive with the defoliation, but once I added that second screen, there was just so much out of reach. I grabbed a pair of 10" scissors for the next go.
How many days in flower will she be on the weekend?

If its not 10 weeks then wait. There isn't a photo period strain alive that won't go 10 weeks. You already mentioned you noticed it bulking up and that really exaggerats itself in the last 2 weeks.

How many days in flower will she be on the weekend?

If its not 10 weeks then wait. There isn't a photo period strain alive that won't go 10 weeks. You already mentioned you noticed it bulking up and that really exaggerats itself in the last 2 weeks.
I'll have to go check here in a bit, but we're somewhere around day 55. Guy at the Farm harvested this strain on day 64. I'm not saying he did it right, but he's the only other person I know to have grown this one out.

So I'm thinking, timing wise, I'm gonna chop her down in the morning. There are a lot of fans I wanna remove before I hang and I just don't know how long that's gonna take, so I don't wanna do it on a worknight and I don't want to mix another batch of nutes after she runs out of water in the next couple days. I'll also be taking apart the hydro system to get it ready for cleaning. Wife's gonna be out tonight so I won't be able to do it just before lights on as I'll be on dad duty, so I'll skip the light cycle tonight, giving her 24 hours of darkness before chopping. I plan on cutting all the stems right below the first screen, then hang the whole setup.

I'll keep you posted.

Fresh trim. I stuffed it in the freezer for now. Plants done but I still got work to do.
alright. this process will work for butter, but i typically do it with coconut oil because you can bake with it or make salves or other topical ointments, too.

I tend to go way heavy with my measurements because the people I give the shit to tend to have arthritis, MS, or cancer. So, I'll take ~6 heaping cups of oil to a quarter pound of shredded, dry, decarbed trim, popcorn buds, and larf. I'll put that in a ceramic bowl, that I then place in my crockpot filled with water and let it cook overnight. A proper double boiler would work better, like what you would use for making chocolates and whatnot. Longer the better, you don't want the temperature to exceed 180F if you can avoid it, 160F is more an ideal temp imo. I then filter the oil out into another bowl using cheesecloth. Then, filter again into another container, again with cheesecloth. Then, I'll put it into the final containers, usually the little 4oz mason jars.

Anticipate losing at least 25% of your starting butter/oil to the material. You simply will not be able to extract it from the plant material.

The next time I do this, I'll be making a shit ton of QWISO first then will use that to make the oil using the same process as to avoid losing so much oil to the material and being about to dose it better. Typically I estimate ~250mg THC per tablespoon, maybe a bit more for the topicals.

alright. this process will work for butter, but i typically do it with coconut oil because you can bake with it or make salves or other topical ointments, too.

I tend to go way heavy with my measurements because the people I give the shit to tend to have arthritis, MS, or cancer. So, I'll take ~6 heaping cups of oil to a quarter pound of shredded, dry, decarbed trim, popcorn buds, and larf. I'll put that in a ceramic bowl, that I then place in my crockpot filled with water and let it cook overnight. A proper double boiler would work better, like what you would use for making chocolates and whatnot. Longer the better, you don't want the temperature to exceed 180F if you can avoid it, 160F is more an ideal temp imo. I then filter the oil out into another bowl using cheesecloth. Then, filter again into another container, again with cheesecloth. Then, I'll put it into the final containers, usually the little 4oz mason jars.

Anticipate losing at least 25% of your starting butter/oil to the material. You simply will not be able to extract it from the plant material.

The next time I do this, I'll be making a shit ton of QWISO first then will use that to make the oil using the same process as to avoid losing so much oil to the material and being about to dose it better. Typically I estimate ~250mg THC per tablespoon, maybe a bit more for the topicals.
Have played around with this and found a trick that avoids losing so much oil. I just use a fine metal strainer to get the plant material out of the oil instead of cheesecloth. But the trick I read about once, and it works, is put a few cups of water in with the oil while it's in the crockpot. Once it's finished, strain it in a metal strainer and put it in a big bowl or pot and stick that in the fridge. All the gunk will filter out of the oil into the water and settle on the bottom and the oil will solidify on the top and it's easy to separate. This assumes an oil that solidifies under cool temps like coconut oil or butter.

Not sure if that's a better way tobh but thought I'd throw that out there. The oil seems pretty clean to me but I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of extractions.

Have played around with this and found a trick that avoids losing so much oil. I just use a fine metal strainer to get the plant material out of the oil. But the trick I read about once, and it works, is put a few cups of water in with the oil while it's in the crockpot. Once it's finished, strain it in a metal strainer and put it in a big bowl or pot and stick that in the fridge. All the gunk will filter out of the oil into the water and settle on the bottom and the oil will solidify on the top.

Not sure if that's a better way tobh but thought I'd throw that out there. The oil seems pretty clean to me but I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of extractions.
so, i used to do a 50/50 oil/water mix but figured out that because chlorophyll is water soluble, it's also extracted and turns the oil a bit more green than I like. coconut oil still has some water content in it, but without the additional water you can cut down on a significant amount of pulled chlorophyll. my solidified product now tends to be a nice tan color with maybe a tiny hint of green vs the pistachio ice cream color I used to get when using water.

Dirtbag was the one that told me about doing a QWISO extraction first, which is easy enough, quick, and ensures that you have no material loss at all. Plus, it's just way cleaner overall. Straining the plant material has always been the part I hate the most about making butters and oils. Using concentrate from the get eliminates the messiest and most tedious step of the process.

Dirtbag was the one that told me about doing a QWISO extraction first, which is easy enough, quick, and ensures that you have no material loss at all.
Interesting, I totally get it.

So you are basically talking about making RSO and than adding that to your coconut oil or butter?

Interesting, I totally get it.

So you are basically talking about making RSO and than adding that to your coconut oil or butter?
not quite RSO. When I make QWISO it ends up more similar to dry sift because I freeze the material and freeze the alcohol, and only do 10-12 second washes before filtering and evap. I'll do two to three washes, tossing the last wash when it starts to not be clear or yellow. Once I start to see even a tiny hint of green, I know the material is too wet and I'm pulling chlorophyll, which I do not want. I also use 91% ISO for QWISO to avoid any unnecessary water.

I want to get a vacuum chamber so I can do heated evaps when making QWISO. That would help serve two purposes for the making of butters or oils.

1. ensure all the ISO is effectively purged from the concentrate. very tiny quantities of ISO are not harmful, but I don't like taking risks with the health of the patients I treat.
2. decarboxylate the QWISO before it goes in the oil, so it will immediately be effective vs having to decarb in the oil binding process.

The actives being decarboxylated is critical not only for oral ingestion but for absorption through skin. Utilizing other potentiators like capsaicin and sunflower lecithin has proven to facilitate getting the goods into the skin and muscles much more effectively as well, especially with the guy with arthritis.

Short story. The first time I used capsaicin and lecithin in a batch of tinctures, this dude came by the house and his hands were severely swollen. He has OA, and the prednisone they had him on wasn't helping with the swelling. So I had him test the new topical recipe, and he rubbed a generous amount on his hands. Within about 20 minutes, the swelling started decreasing and within an hour he was able to make complete fists with both hands. He also expressed that he felt very minimal pain in his hands at that point.

The shit works.

Have played around with this and found a trick that avoids losing so much oil. I just use a fine metal strainer to get the plant material out of the oil instead of cheesecloth. But the trick I read about once, and it works, is put a few cups of water in with the oil while it's in the crockpot. Once it's finished, strain it in a metal strainer and put it in a big bowl or pot and stick that in the fridge. All the gunk will filter out of the oil into the water and settle on the bottom and the oil will solidify on the top and it's easy to separate. This assumes an oil that solidifies under cool temps like coconut oil or butter.

That's how I do it with the water but I stick mine in the freezer. When I pull it out the butter is solid with a thin layer of plant material between the butter and ice. I scrape the plant material off the butter and cut into usable pieces.

Ok I finally got some lunch in me...

From what I'm gathering, I should pull that trim bag out of the freezer and just let it dry? Can I just stuff it in the fridge? I have a spare fridge in the garage. I don't wanna mess with it right now.

Ok I finally got some lunch in me...

From what I'm gathering, I should pull that trim bag out of the freezer and just let it dry? Can I just stuff it in the fridge? I have a spare fridge in the garage. I don't wanna mess with it right now.
if you don't want to mess with it, i'd pull it out and let it dry out. don't put it in the fridge, it'll just turn into a goopy mess.

Is this gonna mold? I just stuffed it in the tent. It was a little too much for a cooking sheet 🤣View attachment 21744
Most of that is water leaf. I wouldn't use that unless you have a lot of sugar leaf mixed in. Use the trim you trim off the flowers. That's just me. Others may have a better idea what to do.

Back
Top Bottom